Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

The General issue...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
destination Unreal Forum Index General Server Chat or Problems UT99 MonsterHunt Main Server
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Balance italy.png

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: The General issue...

Freshly taken.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Kryxix hungary.png

UT Name: Kryxix UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:24 am

ATAA0, one of the maps, must be cleared out from server maplist.
Long playing time on small area, a boring, stand-and-shoot unenjoyment, disgusting environment (details? where?) with an unnecessarily strong last skaarj boss, with instadeath blows. Also mind the huge pupaes, whats are bugging into stairs and coloumns.
In the first 15 mins you just stand in the start area and shoot-shoot-shoot...
What skill or knowledge need you here?
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
DarkBeemo usa.png

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Kryxix wrote (View Post):
ATAA0, one of the maps, must be cleared out from server maplist.
Long playing time on small area, a boring, stand-and-shoot unenjoyment, disgusting environment (details? where?) with an unnecessarily strong last skaarj boss, with instadeath blows. Also mind the huge pupaes, whats are bugging into stairs and coloumns.
In the first 15 mins you just stand in the start area and shoot-shoot-shoot...
What skill or knowledge need you here?

Agreed. Awful, boring map. Gives me headaches, too. -.-
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:16 am

I'm not sure if banning General is really the right choice, seeing as he doesn't really break any rules. Is he rude? Yes. Is his playstyle very selfish? Yes. But he's still not really breaking any rules. Except for that time when he got around the ban, which can never be excused. More should have been done about that. Anyone who gets around a ban should be repeatedly kicked, for longer each time, until they get the message. They would give up eventually. Still, I would like to see General gone, but I don't think there are valid grounds to do so, unless frustrating a good number of regular players - and driving away others - is a good enough reason. There are other players consistently breaking rules who are never kicked.

Thank you to the people who recommended me for staff. I'm not sure how that would be received, as I know there are a number of people here who dislike me. Still, if I'm asked to help, I would be happy to. I was a little too immature when I was made staff many, many years ago, which is why I stepped down.

As for ATAA0, I also vote it gets removed. It causes a ridiculous amount of crashes almost every time it's played. You'll see a whole bunch of players disconnect at once, and quite often, a lot of them don't come back.
Another map I think should be considered is WASTED. That map always drives away many, many players, and takes far too long to play with the players who actually stay for it. I joined late in the map yesterday, and it took so long that they reached the time limit. This was on a Saturday. Usually the server would be busy at this time, but there was barely anyone on because of that map. It should be kept to the Crazy server.

Still, map removal should be talked about in a different topic.
DarkBeemo usa.png

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:22 am

Ninja_Pirate wrote (View Post):
I'm not sure if banning General is really the right choice, seeing as he doesn't really break any rules. Is he rude? Yes. Is his playstyle very selfish? Yes. But he's still not really breaking any rules. Except for that time when he got around the ban, which can never be excused. More should have been done about that. Anyone who gets around a ban should be repeatedly kicked, for longer each time, until they get the message. They would give up eventually. Still, I would like to see General gone, but I don't think there are valid grounds to do so, unless frustrating a good number of regular players - and driving away others - is a good enough reason. There are other players consistently breaking rules who are never kicked.

Thank you to the people who recommended me for staff. I'm not sure how that would be received, as I know there are a number of people here who dislike me. Still, if I'm asked to help, I would be happy to. I was a little too immature when I was made staff many, many years ago, which is why I stepped down.

As for ATAA0, I also vote it gets removed. It causes a ridiculous amount of crashes almost every time it's played. You'll see a whole bunch of players disconnect at once, and quite often, a lot of them don't come back.
Another map I think should be considered is WASTED. That map always drives away many, many players, and takes far too long to play with the players who actually stay for it. I joined late in the map yesterday, and it took so long that they reached the time limit. This was on a Saturday. Usually the server would be busy at this time, but there was barely anyone on because of that map. It should be kept to the Crazy server.

Still, map removal should be talked about in a different topic.

Hot Foot is another map that causes a lot of crashes.
(Okay, I'll stop going offtopic now)
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:32 am

Quote:
Still, I would like to see General gone, but I don't think there are valid grounds to do so, unless frustrating a good number of regular players - and driving away others - is a good enough reason

Isn't that exactly the reason why did topic took so long for being present on the forum by now? This went on for years. People ARE leaving. If this continues the server will be half empty.
Just because he doesn't break the 'rules' doesn't mean he shouldn't be walking around like a total idiot harassing players in a certain way. He is twisting and bending the server gameplay ( As far  I understand the topic reactions to this ) to it's own and players don't want that. Me neither.
Therefore he should be be warned big time or be banned wether if he chooses to  listen or not.  I personally think that would do the most fair justice for all. :Zwinker:
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:37 am

You're right, really. One of my main concerns that I've expressed several times is about players leaving the server. The game is 17 years old, this year. This mod is a little over a decade in age. The server needs as many regular players as it can get, otherwise it will inevitably end up closing. With other big FPS' coming out, including a new free-to-play UT, and a new one by Cliff Bleszinski, more and more players will start to vanish. So if we can get rid of something that's causing the players to leave, that would be an incredibly positive thing for the server.

Maybe getting rid of one person will bring in others. I know for a fact that there are people who stay away when he's on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:46 am

Ninja_Pirate wrote (View Post):
You're right, really. One of my main concerns that I've expressed several times is about players leaving the server. The game is 17 years old, this year. This mod is a little over a decade in age. The server needs as many regular players as it can get, otherwise it will inevitably end up closing. With other big FPS' coming out, including a new free-to-play UT, and a new one by Cliff Bleszinski, more and more players will start to vanish. on.

You and I would be great staff I think. Since we're both elder members and know dU since the beginning. We understand each other perfectly when it comes down to judgement. Only thing is I can only play in the evening due work. So what's happening on broad day light I can't tell. But that's not  up to me to decide.

Quote:
So if we can get rid of something that's causing the players to leave, that would be an incredibly positive thing for the server.

Maybe getting rid of one person will bring in others. I know for a fact that there are people who stay away when he's on

I totally agree.  Well said.
EmperorHunter usa.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Emperor_Warrior UT Since: 2001 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 am

I agree ataa0 should be retire from du main server but I have to say that banning general not going work short ban will work or muting prevent him telling players vote his maps he likes and hope that he learns something from this
Sponsor
Suz portugal.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 am

Something must be done about General, regardless. From what I saw, after his ban, his first days back, he seemed to be quieter, and not as much present, but from what I can see, he has been "plaguing" the servers now, full-force.
I have to think, will a warning be enough this time around, considering that after his 1 week ban, for the circumventing of the kick vote, seemed to have little effect on him.
I'm not as present as before, for personal reasons, but I've been following up on the forums whenever I can, and he does rub off the wrong way on so many people, and he seems to care for nothing.
He plays as if he's alone, when you're supposed to be a team player.
This said, I suggested to him even, to move many times to challenge small, where he could play his maps over and over again, without bothering people nor being bothered by them.
We can all imagine what was his "response".

As much as I can agree that he does not break the rules upfront, we can all agree that he bends them to his will, so, isn't that just as bad, and shouldn't that be equally punished?
And if we're supposed to make it airtight so he doesn't get leeway with his antics, then we have to consider a whole number of other players that also do the same, and can be considered perhaps, worse than General in some ways.
kingibi blank.png

UT Name: kingibi Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 am

Hey guys and girls,

Theres always been a big hate on Karkass since I started playing. I never knew where is started from but people who don’t really know the guy seemed to tag on with the hate. This does not include more senior members which includes Crow, Kyrix… well basically everyone who posted on here.

I am one of the very very few people who considers him a friend, he helps me out, chats to me and even plays maps at my pace. I don’t disagree that there is a lack of teamwork on his part towards everyone. I understand this is a rule too and therefore should be adhered. However, a lot of this would apply to other members as pointed out by a number of you, such as Mister (He is also a nice guy), Unai (funny guy) and others.  Overall the amount of rules which are broken regularly are exponentially increasing as the day’s pass, I feel these should all be addressed in one go.

A number of months ago, following an incident I pointed out there is a need for more staff. This is by no means a reflection of the competence of the current staff as they work hard, but many are now off, starting families or are busy with personal life. The number of staff members that would be online has fallen greatly. Currently Villa is the only one I see often, but he usually is torn between multiple servers as he is a fan of the crazy server too.

In regards to who the new mods would be. I would definitely recommend Kyrxix if he accepts. Just like me he is always non-biased and objective. Thinks things through. He is regularly online and we must all agree that he is very respectable man with a control over what he says and how he behaves.
Secondly I would not mind volunteering myself. As mentioned before I play at times in which no mods or senior members are online, I play the same maps as general and lastly and most importantly I am well acquainted with everyone on the server, so my allegiance (or malice) isn’t towards any particular player(s). I would recommend other members but Kyrxix and Villa are online in between them periods, no point having 2 mods online at the same time and then non later that day. Therefore its only logical to not recommend people that are online at the same time as a current mod or similar time zones/ work shifts. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

In regards to removing maps, please don’t remove hotfoot, highspeed train, boomboombridge or highschool. You will just be punishing those who enjoy them (me) and the guy who made it, general will just end up doing the same with other maps.
(-.-) @bemmo
A lot of fond memories on them maps =)

BTW I don’t really see bans working as I’m sure he (or whoever is banned) can circumvent them. Therefore, a more active mod needs to be present.

@Suz hope your doing well. =)

Thanks,
Kingibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 am

Quote:
I don’t really see bans working as I’m sure he (or whoever is banned) can circumvent them. Therefore, a more active mod needs to be present.

If I'm wrong about this let me know. This is how I interpreted your post.

I could be totally misunderstanding your point, but as I understand it , you would be totally cool with this ??? *ahem* *ahem* Since they will circumvent it ~~~~~ :

Let's say as example:

I vote maps that take at least  approx 20 players , when there is 3 people online. When I'm about to get kicked because of inappropriate behavior, I simply bypass it,. And when I learn of the news that I am being a very , very unpleasant player you would just let me go on. When I see a moderator online, I just simply disconnect or do something else,  wait till he's gone, then I can go on my obnoxious behavior.

You are totally cool with that?

So when you are online as mod, you do nothing till he gets people to the boiling point, when they are already at it?
Wake up Kingibi, people are at their boiling point!  

Yes, at first I did ask for clarification but after some real life seeing, I do know what the people are talking about.

Just like ninja and many others said, dU is not having his true potential because some people are not behaving.
They are avoiding online presence! Wouldn't be nice to have a full time, full server with happy players all the time?

As I mentioned dU is understaffed ( as recalled in BW's post )  in the first place, it is necessary to have mods also knowing to what is actually going on, on the forum and gameserver!

Edit: 3 if it is certainly on topic, I do vote Kryxix staff as well :Zwinker:
Sponsor
DarkBeemo usa.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:56 am

kingibi wrote (View Post):
Hey guys and girls,

Theres always been a big hate on Karkass since I started playing. I never knew where is started from but people who don’t really know the guy seemed to tag on with the hate. This does not include more senior members which includes Crow, Kyrix… well basically everyone who posted on here.

I am one of the very very few people who considers him a friend, he helps me out, chats to me and even plays maps at my pace. I don’t disagree that there is a lack of teamwork on his part towards everyone. I understand this is a rule too and therefore should be adhered. However, a lot of this would apply to other members as pointed out by a number of you, such as Mister (He is also a nice guy), Unai (funny guy) and others.  Overall the amount of rules which are broken regularly are exponentially increasing as the day’s pass, I feel these should all be addressed in one go.

A number of months ago, following an incident I pointed out there is a need for more staff. This is by no means a reflection of the competence of the current staff as they work hard, but many are now off, starting families or are busy with personal life. The number of staff members that would be online has fallen greatly. Currently Villa is the only one I see often, but he usually is torn between multiple servers as he is a fan of the crazy server too.

In regards to who the new mods would be. I would definitely recommend Kyrxix if he accepts. Just like me he is always non-biased and objective. Thinks things through. He is regularly online and we must all agree that he is very respectable man with a control over what he says and how he behaves.
Secondly I would not mind volunteering myself. As mentioned before I play at times in which no mods or senior members are online, I play the same maps as general and lastly and most importantly I am well acquainted with everyone on the server, so my allegiance (or malice) isn’t towards any particular player(s). I would recommend other members but Kyrxix and Villa are online in between them periods, no point having 2 mods online at the same time and then non later that day. Therefore its only logical to not recommend people that are online at the same time as a current mod or similar time zones/ work shifts. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

In regards to removing maps, please don’t remove hotfoot, highspeed train, boomboombridge or highschool. You will just be punishing those who enjoy them (me) and the guy who made it, general will just end up doing the same with other maps.
(-.-) @bemmo
A lot of fond memories on them maps =)

BTW I don’t really see bans working as I’m sure he (or whoever is banned) can circumvent them. Therefore, a more active mod needs to be present.

@Suz hope your doing well. =)

Thanks,
Kingibi

Who is this "Bemmo" person? :p
(No more offtopicing for me.)
Crow canada.png

UT Name: Crow UT Since: 2002 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:41 am

Just a quick reply to show some life from the OP (I am checking the thread daily though!),

A temporary ban is something that would clearly show a person that they are doing something that is not accepted by others, and can perhaps make people behave,
and if a player circumvents it then harsher action must be taken against them.
The whole idea of my post and what I am trying to point out, is that General's behavior is something that's just how it is, and been for years.
Yes he doesn't directly break the rules, at least not often (except for the language rule though, he likes to talk a lot in French), but his regular selfish behavior creates a
negative atmosphere for many people, and this is my main concern and frustration.
Some of you mentioned now or in the past that he was alright with them, but let me ask you this: did his friendliness or care about you last?  
Does anyone know if he made any good friends on the server at all?
The only person I know he talks to some times would be EEE, the other French cow, with whom he just chats in French in the main chat, and I don't really think they
can actually be considered "friends".

My biggest issue, and I suggest people to pay attention to it, is his prolonged presence online. I've just checked who's online and saw him on (oh what a surprise!),
and his playing (online) time clocks at: 12:09:52... that's 12 hours and 9 minutes of being on the server nonstop.
(I check the action on the server through Game Tracker, here's a link for quick reference:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
)
I see that some of you go slightly off topic and talk about other players you don't like, but surely none of those other players spend so much time online!
If his behavior is disliked by many players, and he is present for such prolonged periods of time, is anyone even surprised that the atmosphere on the server is not great?

If General receives a permanent ban, it would be good even for him. It would rid him of his unhealthy fixation on the game, and hopefully would get him doing
something better with his time.
Of course its none of my business what one does with their time, but if whatever they do affects people negatively, then an action must be taken.

Lastly, I see that the subject of the admin nomination due to the server being understaffed is becoming a hot one, and the same thing goes on the subject of maps
people like to get rid of.
We should open separate threads related to those topics, I say that we should first start a discussion about what people we'd like seeing as admins and then make a poll
with the names of the ones that are getting mentioned often, so that forum members could vote for who they want.
A similar idea is to be done about maps for removal: A discussion should be started in which members name the maps they dislike, and the maps that get the most
hate would then be requested to be removed.
I could start any of those threads myself, but I won't rush into starting another thread right now so if someone wants to open one or both, I encourage you to do that!

Crow.

(Edit: formatting)
Kryxix hungary.png

UT Name: Kryxix UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 am

One more note:

I talk a few words with MireYa yesterday evening. She said she is sorry for our past problems. I said everything is OK, and forget it.

To be honest i must also say sorry to her. I think i overreacted the situation badly.

Also on mod status: dont forget that im only a registered user since 2015, so i dont know some of the hardcore/old gamers deep enough (i miss you esnero).
I am online only on weekdays 18.00-22.00 GMT+2 (afterwork). Also on weekends i can sit down to play periodically, especially while my wife is working and im alone at home (early mornings and during the day, but rarely on evenings).

VillageMeeting (Falugy?lés) is one of my friends. Because of my relatively weak english knowledge, the communication and experience exchanging is more fluent between us in our lang. (Born to the same small nation - thanks to my old friend Google for translating).

I also advise opening some new forum topics about:

- vote about some new reliable ingame moderators
- vote some maps what needs to remove (ATAA, Wasted, GateKeeper, Haunted++) with minimum vote number determined to be valid
- proposals on some maps that needs some revision to more fun f.e.: avoid HighSchool lava-exploit - Gauntlet05 (Remember Kingibi? Unexperienced players dont know they must do suicide) - JumpToSpace2011 endgame triggering - etc, etc...

I am still not supporting Generals ban. Opinion is free until its not a direct insult. Based on my observations insults almost always breaks out between 2 persons.
Also theres a BLOCK option on personal server settings (!rules) to avoid the undesired write-ins.
And mapvoting is a player right. Use it! (This could be the starting message, to raise attention).

Yesterdays evening: ~15 online, 5 vote to ATAA, ~10 players left after 10 mins. LastVoyage and JumptoSpace called as a "noob map" (Hi Geo!) . Latter changed to DarkWhite with ingame voting. But why there were no vote on other at mapchange?
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Quote:
We should open separate threads related to those topics, I say that we should first start a discussion about what people we'd like seeing as admins and then make a poll
with the names of the ones that are getting mentioned often, so that forum members could vote for who they want.
A similar idea is to be done about maps for removal: A discussion should be started in which members name the maps they dislike, and the maps that get the most
hate would then be requested to be removed.
I could start any of those threads myself, but I won't rush into starting another thread right now so if someone wants to open one or both, I encourage you to do that!

I'm active topic opener  Razz , so I don't mind creating the map removal idea. I like creating topics, and keeps the forum lively.

As for the staff recruitment topic I think of the mods or the admins should be the ones to do that.
kingibi blank.png

UT Name: kingibi Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:57 pm

@Terraniux you misunderstood the point. Maybe it wasn’t clear on my part.

Like in the past when general got a kick vote he kept returning until Suz banned him for a week… unless I’m mistaken and something else happened? I am referencing to a mod being available at times such as this. If there is a mod online most of the times (especially when he is online), then he or any other player would not get away with such behaviour.
Basically I said the same thing as you just said.

Yes, I agree that the mods should be someone who plays often and is aware of what’s happening on the forum, in-game and on fb if possible. Someone who knows everyone and gets along with all. This is why I suggested Kryxix and myself. I would suggest you as well Terraniux, if you want to play in-game more often? I am sure you would make a good mod. To be honest I only suggested myself as the timing fits perfect and I don’t always just agree with people, but show my concerns in a healthy discussion.

I have only been playing a year and a half, so trust me I know how the new players feel. Amongst you guys who have been playing and have known each other for 5+ odd years I feel like a newbie even after a year and a half. Sometimes I feel a little boxed out as it feels like you guys have like a senior member’s community within the normal community. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t really know.

Anyways. Terraniux I would like to once again say sorry for the misunderstanding.

@crow you make some valid points.

@Kyrxix, glad you know my fav map =P map revisions sound good

@Terraniux, yes mods and admins should decide for staff themselves. =)

@beemo…. Best for last =P bemmmo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 pm

No worries. Thank you for the explanation.
We don't box out anyone there is no such thing as the vip group haha.

But what do you see fit as 'punishment' when he or others do it again?
I think before this turns into another locked topic, we all should form a conclusion.  Wink

Last edited by Terraniux on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor

destination Unreal Forum Index General Server Chat or Problems   UT99 MonsterHunt Main Server
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: