Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

Suggestions for map removal on main

destination Unreal Forum Index General Server Chat or Problems UT99 MonsterHunt Main Server
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Suggestions for map removal on main

As the general issue topic is getting too much offtopic, a separate topic for this subject is better.

For those that didn't read the entire topic posts -
In this topic you can name maps that bothers you on main and / or should be swapped/removed.

Here it is. Discuss!
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
kingibi blank.png

UT Name: kingibi Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:31 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Suggestions for map removal on main

I vote we remove AfterDark2  Twisted Evil
just joking, I love the AfterDark maps =P
Laughing
Does this thread include taking suggestions for map edits?
Because some maps can be salvaged by adding or cutting certain bits.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Yeah I think. No problem for anyway. I'm still preparing my list. With the unbelievable obnoxious map ataa0 on top of the list for permanent deletion..
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:19 pm

I feel people should give valid reasons as to why they want the maps removed, and not simply because "I don't like it", because that isn't really a good enough reason to remove a map. We don't want to remove too many maps, as we don't want to end up playing the same maps over and over again. Yes, the same maps are played a lot now, but there are at least alternatives. We don't want to remove all the alternatives. We should only remove the main offenders - the ones which have drastic impacts on the server.

I am very against changing maps in a big way. They should be kept in the way the mappers intended them to be. How would you feel if you spent hours upon hours of your life working on something, and then you see it later, completely changed by someone in an attempt to "improve" it? The authors name would be attached to the map, but it wouldn't be true to what they created. And it wouldn't be right if someone slapped their name on work that doesn't belong to them - that's plagiarism. Yes, it's a shame to see some maps go to waste, but that's the way it should be. Only minor fixes that fix things that aren't supposed to be there should be allowed.

Anyway, the 2 main maps I want to see go are:

MH-ATAA0-(Obnoxious)+fix2
Why? Because it causes many, many crashes, causing people to leave the server. I don't understand how this is acceptable.

MH-GoldenGirl-WASTED+Fix4
This map causes plenty of players to leave just by the map being voted. This often leaves a small amount of people playing it, causing it to last even up to the 2 and a half hour mark. It should be kept to the Crazy server, only.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Kryxix hungary.png

UT Name: Kryxix UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:54 pm

Agreed with Ninja. Except one thing: when the mapper says its not too good online.

Originally i thought a maximum of 3-4 maps to remove. And also minor fixes on some.

Some exapmles (feel free to comment it and vote!):

ATAA0 - this must be gone, see above

Goldengirl-WASTED - long annoying map. One of the rooms is totally texture bugged. Some says its not a bug. Then its a shame. And ugly. Some players even never leave the starting room, and just picking each other.

Hunted++ - No comments. Even skilled players finds it frustrating.

TheGateKeeper - with more than 2-3 players the start room is unplayable. With too few players some of the bossmonsters killing is a torture. Some of the rooms are tends to bug and ruins the game (flies, mantas room, teleport and instant death)
Some players using an exploit and run over the ceiling area(!), which is normally unaccessible.

And you will wonder on this! but: JumpToSpace2011 - despite im a big fan of the map (anti-gravity fun), the majority of the players are hate this map and insta-exit. Look what Thunderbolt (designer) said:
"2016-06-30 19:35.43 THUNDERBOLT: yeah, but i dont like this map online"
"2016-06-30 19:51.21 THUNDERBOLT: this map should be removed from here"

Others that has negative critics:

TheTower2010 (majority leaves on Floor 1 (250 pupaes), then the rest on Floor 2 (200 flies spawning in slowly))
GodzReloaded+ (today ingame vote changed this after boring hours. This is for the masochists, really. Look on average map time...)
HotFootV4 (i am curious after a voting, its more vote to stay or it must go forever)
FairyValleyFinal (its only half-ready, would be good after some repairs in the future)

Awaiting comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Tonight I was in the gym and was working out. Exercise gives always new energy and a crystal clear head. This idea popped up in my head.

What if people would like to see maps removed, when they just can be changed quickly as the people want? We can check and ask for permission to the author(s) for changing a couple of things.
As in a tiny -yet big makeover. For example we take on some maps that the players find fun when it's crowded on the server, but wouldn't vote it when there's less. Ugly point blank textures, nothing squared buildings without any form of actual beauty.

As I truly hate the aat0 and maps like such, there always the other side of the flipped coin that sets the map in another day light. Good for the score, yet devastating for server population.
We will be truly heros we can set them in another daylight haha!

Only struggle will be the authors right. Most of them are unreachable I think. Though I think they wouldn't mind if you make a public post just in order to let them know your doing this. If they don't want it they can always tell us.
Yes I really don't like people touching my maps, but if they edit a couple of things for the greater good , or for personal offline fun - I totally don't mind. I already glad they take the effort for actually playing it. Smile Pretty sure most of the mappers out there think that way, although notifying is always necessary. A pm, or email or just a post.

I forget the names of those maps, I'm sure I think of them again. What's your opinion about this idea?
Sponsor
Xaleros blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:04 am

Played through GlassCoop with some people.

The general consensus was that the map wasn't fun because too many people (including myself) didn't know the map well enough to the point where it became frustrating. Any other people have a comment on this map?
EmperorHunter usa.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Emperor_Warrior UT Since: 2001 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:08 am

I choose attao to remove because it's time to retire it from main and probably du challenge and challenge small another map like to see remove is goldengirl as much I like see how hilarious it is I believe should be retire
Thegatekeeper could go as well I have hard time with that spawn area
Hunted++ should be remove like kryxix said
Thetower2010 should be remove because it's boring same goes for godzreloaded+

Maps I have main issue is atliafinals these map causes crashes and difficult connect on

that maps I can think of but for now this what needs to go
Hyperion blank.png

UT Name: Hyperion Gender: Gender:Female

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 am

I disagree with the people who have suggested removing MH-Haunted++ from the Main server, and I don't understand the hate.
I personally like the map. Sure, it's not pretty, but it doesn't take much effort to complete it.

My suggestions for map removal:

MH-GoldenGirl-WASTED+Fix4
This map is plain crazy and the Crazy server is where it rightfully belongs.
It scares players off and takes a horribly long time to the point you're sometimes not even able to complete it before the time runs out.

MH-ATAA2-(Obnoxious)+
This map is spam, takes too long, and requires a lot of co-operation and map knowledge.
It doesn't say what you're supposed to do, and most inexperienced players won't have a clue. To the Crazy server!

MH-(dU)-TheTower2010+FIX
Either change it or remove it. This map plays awfully slowly, and it quickly becomes plain boring.
Maybe making monsters spawn faster would help?

All HTD maps.
No? Okay Sad.

My suggestions for map fixing:

MH-subway
There's a buggy door in the map which prevents you from being able to complete the map. It's needed a fix for years.

MH-FairyValleyVFinal
The massive frame drop makes the map almost unplayable!

MH-Krallfortress110
Sometimes, the Titan gets trapped under a platform and can't be reached, so you can't complete the map.

MH-TheGauntlet5
It could use a fix at the part where the "door" closes and blocks the pathway, thus forcing slower players to suicide/reconnect.

MH-UnderwaterAssaultV2
There is a room in this map which causes the server to crash every time you enter it.
If I'm not mistaken, that part of the map is optional, though, so we could simply block it off (after making sure there are no monsters there).

If I can think of more maps, I'll add them to the list later.

Last edited by Hyperion on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Kryxix hungary.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:35 pm

The main problem with Haunted++ that if no skilled player in game, then players who dont know the maze area properly, finds the map frustrating and boring (with torchlights out in short time).
Yesterday: "2016-06-30 17:49.15 Zenobia: anyone knows how to end this loving map ? Very Happy1" 15 players were lost and orphaned...

Hyperion: I never thought that you are in hate of all HTD maps  Smile Maybe you just bored of them a bit.
Capatibility-Zone-HTD is a very good map IMHO, also the LiandriCorp-PT1-PT2 maps are enjoyable (apart from where you can stuck in front of a locked door, before the Queens room, and must suicide - i hate doing a suicide, did I told? Why some maps forced it...)

Yes, FairyValleyFinal needs a fix and optimization. Until then: i vote to remove it.

Also TheGauntlet5, need a fix if its possible (where you stuck at the water area and no way going on except suicide and respawn in the next area).

Opinions on SpawnKill-2?
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:19 pm

More suggestions for removal:

MH-Impossible-dU
Another map that drives people away. The same room copy and pasted multiple times with different monsters put in. This is a server emptier.

MH-RageArena2 and MH-SpawnKill-2
Some of the worst gameplay on the server. I don't know of anyone who actually enjoys these maps. RageArena is worse than SpawnKill, though. As least as there's room to move about in SpawnKill.

MH-EdaraPass
The HUD takes far too long to appear for most players. Just like in Ortican, but even worse. It disconnects the players after a while due to being unable to login. Unacceptable.

MH-TheGateKeeper
Forced spawnkilling? Not fun. And it happens throughout the map.

MH-ATAA2-(Obnoxious)Fixed+
Unavoidable (As far as I know) death at one point. Incredibly boring gameplay that also drives away many players.

MH-FairyValleyVFinal
It's not fit for the server. The lag is unbearable.

Fixes:

MH-IceSkaarj-Attack-UTJMH
Does the queen door still bug if you kill the Behemoth before pressing the switches? I've not played the map recently.

MH-Hebereke_Gaiden_Ver3+
Lower the health of the devilfish. It currently has way too much health and takes far too long to kill, especially with new players or if deemers go to players who don't know what they're supposed to do. I currently despise this map, but I wouldn't mind it if the devilfish health was reduced.

MH-subway
The map can easily break, near the end. If a player goes through and presses the button on the train, any other players who haven't entered the tunnel are then stuck. If the player who presses the button then dies, or disconnects, the map is broken and cannot be completed.

MH-(dU)-TheTower2010+FIX
Make the respawning monsters respawn faster. The speed the monsters respawn at now is painfully slow. Change that, and I imagine a lot of players would have no problem with the map.

MH-LongCorridor_d+Fix1
Simple fix. Make the flies respawn and stop the titans respawning. That change would make the map about 1000 times better. Many cowardly players suddenly have to go ""afk" at the start of the titan part, so that they can save their score. The map causes arguments and many people to leave as it is.

MH-TheGauntlet5
Same as what's already been listed. Fix the door that causes players to have to suicide. That's all.

I would also like to see the HTD maps gone, but I know that won't happen as there are people who seem to enjoy them, for whatever reason. Sector9 and Compatibility Zone are amongst the worst ones, in my eyes. The gameplay is mindnumbingly boring.
Kryxix hungary.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:39 pm

I will ask Thunderbolt about modifying the respawn rates on TheTower2010 - its a good idea.
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Would someone mind posting a couple of screenshots of the according places that needs a fix?
This weekend I have some free time to spend, I could use that for some map fixing.
EmperorHunter usa.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Emperor_Warrior UT Since: 2001 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:35 pm

I agree with Hyperion and Ninja Pirate the maps that they pointed out need to be fix have to be fixed

HTD maps I'm okay with find some of them fun

Ataa2 is a map that needs to go

Haven't tried fairyvalley yet is it that laggy?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:36 pm

I add MH-Rocktunnel to the list for fixing. Cubic boring map, with slow intervals of monsters and only reason to chitchat there or just pick your nose.
Some brushes are so louzy placed they don't even hit the ground.  I'm not stomping the map into the ground, there are some fun parts, but 90% of gameplay is simply waiting....
Sponsor
Kryxix hungary.png

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Mind that Hebereke_Gaiden has no map designer named. Currently the mapper is "unknown".
Even using the good ole' friend (Google) i cant found anything about.

This makes it easier to fix.
Like Ninja said: the devilfish' HP pool must be reduced to make the maps ending more fun. I was at least in two games recently where all the monster spawned (more then 1000) before the fish killed.
Also some players picks each other on the top floor (constant friendly fire, kickvote) when somebody who dont know what to do wastes the redeemer. Its frustrating for those, who wants to end the map faster.
kokok blank.png

UT Name: moobs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:11 pm

MH-ATAA2-(Obnoxious)Fixed+, TheTower2010
both boring, tedious, ugly.  Idea

destination Unreal Forum Index General Server Chat or Problems   UT99 MonsterHunt Main Server
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: