Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

MH-EpicAdventure2016

destination Unreal Forum Index New Mapping Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic 
-POTS- italy.png

UT Name: *POTS* UT Since: 2002 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33 pm
PostPost subject:No icon MH-EpicAdventure2016

I just tested this map offline, and as for most of Thunderbolt's maps, I have an issue with some decorations used, that is, some plants/trees have a black square/rectangle surrounding them.

I think it's an issue related to masked (transparent)  textures, and I recall someone told me reconnecting would fix it online (which doesn't work by the way), and well guess what, I'm having the same problem offline.

All other textures both stock and custom work fine, is there a way of fixing this? Is it just me experiencing this problem?

However, I tracked down the texture pack causing this, and it's the ThunderboltRunePack.utx package, see attached screenshot to get an idea of what am I talking about.

Plain Old Telephone Service
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
MuncherMike canada.png

UT Name: Akimitsui UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:06 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: MH-EpicAdventure2016

I experienced the same problem when playing the Fairytale Adventure map also by Thunderbolt, so it's not just you. My UT is modded with a few tweaks for graphics and the high-res textures, so maybe on just a stock installation of UT these black bars do not exist?
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm

I could try, but I see that is a custom texture. Reimporting and flagging as masked will help. If not, the texture is invalid made in the graphics program.
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
-POTS- italy.png

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

I contacted Thunderbolt, he stated he flagged the textures correctly and if they don't work is a problem related to the player(s). I took my time to download and test the map to help, if that's not needed I'm not going to troubleshoot this anymore. I simply wanted to know what is causing it and why only to some players.

@Terraniux
Since it's not your work you should contact the original author and discuss about it, provided you're willing to do so. Attached you can find the screenshot of the texture properties sent to me by Thunderbolt.

-POTS- italy.png

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:00 pm

After some testing I've finally found out the issue: the decorations work as they are supposed to do only if you're using the stock D3D7 video renderer, any other one, OpenGL included, doesn't support them. I have no clue why this happens, maybe some video settings have been disabled with the newer renderers.

EvilGrins usa.png

UT Name: Doppleganger UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 am

I've had that issue on some maps, but not this one.

Not that it probably matters, but did you find this blackness to more of an issue underwater or just everywhere?
Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 am

Quote:

@Terraniux
Since it's not your work you should contact the original author and discuss about it, provided you're willing to do so.

Quote:
All other textures both stock and custom work fine, is there a way of fixing this? Is it just me experiencing this problem?

??errrhm?? Your post are kinda contradicting.
You as the topicstarter asked the question, and needed help?  I give a few solutions.
I won't touch others stuff, especially not thunders, unless otherwise specified. He knows me, I know him.
Don't post when you had a few ones haha.

Anyway, I still hold up that the original texture that is being imported has the solution, matter the flags in UED.
The latest photoshop or GIMP gives masked errors no matter how you do it. I must go back to at least CS2 or earlier to get a proper masking without errors.

But you found the error, cause, and solution. Nice! Thanks.

This topic got me thinking. How many renderers are there actually?

Last edited by Terraniux on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Suz portugal.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:48 am

Well, I had the same issue, tbh. It isn't something that bothers me overly, but that it seems a bit... odd, it is.
As for POTS posts, I don't see where's the contradiction.
He asked for help, and no one came up with a real solution, so he went and found the issue himself, but thanks for the few suggestions ^^
But what do I know... ^^
MuncherMike canada.png

UT Name: Akimitsui UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 am

I wonder if these textures will work properly for Glide renderer when using a 3DFX Voodoo card...
Sponsor
-POTS- italy.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:43 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
Not that it probably matters, but did you find this blackness to more of an issue underwater or just everywhere?

It both happens underwater and on terrains, so different zones don't seem to affect it.

Terraniux wrote:
??errrhm?? Your post are kinda contradicting.

Uh? I see no contradiction in my posts, I simply suggested you asking permission since there's a lot of tension lately among people in the community and i wanted to avoid any unnecessary drama.
Forgive me if I didn't know you were close friend with Thunderbolt, my bad.  Confused

Terraniux wrote:
Don't post when you had a few ones haha.

Not sure what you mean here, if you meants my multiple posts, I was just posting updates as I was gathering new info on the matter, didn't think it would bother anyone actually.

Terraniux wrote:
The latest photoshop or GIMP gives masked errors no matter how you do it. I must go back to at least CS2 or earlier to get a proper masking without errors.

If you can actually fix it, it would be great if you could directly talk about it to Thunder, since I tried myself and didn't get a positive response.

Terraniux wrote:
But you found the error, cause, and solution. Nice!

Thanks to you for your input as well and the technical explanation behind the error.
I've been experiencing this for quite some time so I just wanted to nail the possible causes.

Terraniux wrote:
This topic got me thinking. How many renderers are there actually?

I made a specific thread for that:
Arrow
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:57 pm

No worries. I guess I overscrolled your third or second post, thought you were the other italian guy.  it showed up after I refreshed the page.  Surprised
Thunder and I aren't close friends but since we are both mappers, we learned each other throughout the years. Exchanging ideas and stuff.

Anyway, it's cool. I'll see what I can do.

destination Unreal Forum Index   New Mapping Projects
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: