Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
RoboCop skin Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
all server down General Server Chat or Problems Shado 0 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 pm
Shado View latest post
Xcom MH maps for Garden of Death New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 397 Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 pm
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm

Do you upgrade to Windows8 ?

destination Unreal Forum Index General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic 
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BlackWolf UT Since: 1999
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:57 am
PostPost subject:No icon Do you upgrade to Windows8 ?

I stay at windows7...
mostly of this reaons:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Possible I try windows 9 :Zwinker:

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Data_Destroyer brazil.png

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Do you upgrade to Windows8 ?

I am still on Windows XP Professional  Laughing  But for people that have Windows 7, better to stay at Windows 7 Ultimate Version for a while.....

But i wanna see the magnificus Internet Explorer 10 on future! Laughing
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Rork UT Since: 2003

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:37 pm

I have a stable OS with up-to-date (and well tested) software every 6 months, thousends of programs in the app "store" including 5 totally different window managers/desktop environments and 5 desktop suites most of which I can configure the way I want. If I want to install an app that's not in the store I can just install it, if I want to add apps from other "stores" no problem either. I can make the learning curve as steep as I want and don't see the advantage of a touchscreen on my desktop.

Doesn't seem much of an upgrade to me so no thanks.

The best way to kill skaarj is to flak it while it leaps towards you.
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sponsor
BangBang blank.png

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I use Vista, which is so hated by everyone, and everything works well so no, I won't upgrade. It's a waste of money for me (unless you have a touchscreen of course).
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Janssen canada.png

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Still on XP too. No reason to upgrade. If it's not broken, don't fix it. XP is an extremely stable OS so i don't have the desire to install another to find out. I think it's more for young ppl that want to get the latest gadgets, even if they're meaningless. It's the same with versions, they want the latest, shininest version.
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:24 am

Janssen wrote (View Post):
Still on XP too. No reason to upgrade. If it's not broken, don't fix it. XP is an extremely stable OS so i don't have the desire to install another to find out. I think it's more for young ppl that want to get the latest gadgets, even if they're meaningless. It's the same with versions, they want the latest, shininest version.

That's probably what people said about pedal driven bicycles in the 19th century.

For me, I'm pretty happy there are still major developments in operating systems / window managers many of which go their own way and have their own feel, their own purpose and their own target audience.

Sponsor
Zipps sweden.png

UT Name: -=]UM[=-Zipps UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I will keep win 7 For as long as possible, I think the 8 is a big hoax to just make us buy something we don't really need..

Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrealmayhem
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of years back so my computer could handle more RAM. XP wouldn't be able to recognise the amount I planned to have, so I had to upgrade.

As for Windows 8; in it's current state I'd say it's more of a downgrade than anything. If it gets some major improvements and does some things in a much better way, I might change. But I really do doubt it.
Janssen canada.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 am

Quote:
That's probably what people said about pedal driven bicycles in the 19th century.

Well not entirely false... I was one of the last persons to upgrade from DOS to windows 95. At the end, i was using a multi-tasking program in DOS to do several things at once. But the jump from DOS to windows was big, not sure it's still the case betwen XP and windows 8. It's like having a bicycle that i know works, and trading it for a bicycle with gadgets that i don't need, with the entire bicycle threatening to fall into pieces every second. XP might not have a million gadgets (then again it does and i have to turn them off) but it works.

Quote:
I will keep win 7 For as long as possible, I think the 8 is a big hoax to just make us buy something we don't really need..

I think a lot of stuff were hoaxes like iPads, iPhones, iPods and what not. It might be useful for relatively few ppl, but overall they were all trends that became mainstream because ppl like useless gadgets. All i ever had was a cheap mp3 player with 128mb that i almost never used.

Quote:
I upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of years back so my computer could handle more RAM. XP wouldn't be able to recognise the amount I planned to have, so I had to upgrade.

Every windows is either 32 bits or 64 bits. There's a 64 bits version of XP  that supports > 4GB.

Strangely, the 4 GB limit might mostly be a myth, reading this:
Get registered or Log in
It says that a 32-bits system is quite capable of using up to 64GB of memory, but the limit is 4GB per program. Prolly not enough to run the new games (stuff that would end up in doomstone's crap folder) but it would mean that my XP 32-bits that i'm using could use up to 64GB overall...
Sponsor
Janssen canada.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:06 am

Or not.

XP 32-bits limited to 4GB overall. Need another version to acces > 4GB overall with 32-bits.

Get registered or Log in
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am

Janssen wrote (View Post):
Quote:

Well not entirely false... I was one of the last persons to upgrade from DOS to windows 95. At the end, i was using a multi-tasking program in DOS to do several things at once. But the jump from DOS to windows was big, not sure it's still the case betwen XP and windows 8. It's like having a bicycle that i know works, and trading it for a bicycle with gadgets that i don't need, with the entire bicycle threatening to fall into pieces every second. XP might not have a million gadgets (then again it does and i have to turn them off) but it works.

Quote:

I think a lot of stuff were hoaxes like iPads, iPhones, iPods and what not. It might be useful for relatively few ppl, but overall they were all trends that became mainstream because ppl like useless gadgets. All i ever had was a cheap mp3 player with 128mb that i almost never used.

Well, the part of bicycles falling to pieces any time ideally should be left for developers and adrenaline junkies. Wether you need the extra gadgets or not depends on how useful they are, I've been using quite some window managers over the past years (Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/7, Gnome 2, KDE 3 & 4, LXDE, fluxbox) and the later versions each had some gadgets I don't need (so in a decent WM I disabled them) and some gadgets that made things a lot easier (and yes, also some hip gadgets). The jump from WinXP to Windows 8 might be too big, however the jump from XP to 7 is worth making.

ipods, ipads, iphones, mp3 players, navigation, cameras, all intended to make access to some stuff easier, Of these I only own a smartphone which does all the jobs. I'm pretty happy with that. Some brands are more for trendy people but that doesn't mean that these devices aren't useful. I think that should be judged on those (not so) very few ppl you mention, not those who don't look farther then the lolcat pics.

The problem might be that people used windows 95, 98, XP, 7 for years, all have pretty much the same setup: a menubar with the startmenu on the left and a desktop with some icons. Now people are afraid to loose this setup and think it's useless because they stare at it for 5 minutes, don't know what to do and say it's crap. Modern OS's shouldn't be much harder to handle then an elevator, but with a lot of stuff behind the buttons that can make your life a lot easier if you're willing (and able to) explore them.

While writing this I had to remember myself of the differences between the pre-typewriter generation and the digital generation (which I belong to), the former has a way harder time picking up anything electronic. I also tend to forget that most people primarily use their computer for some browsing, email and he occasional game, in that case it doesn't matter much which OS or device you use, as long as it works.

Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Another reason I completely forgot about is that some new games were dropping support for XP. You needed Vista or 7 and there was no way I was going to change to Vista. So I pretty much had to get Windows 7 to be able to play some of the new games I was after.
Sponsor

destination Unreal Forum Index   General Discussion
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: