Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

MH-Rogues: The Rogue Squadron (SECOND UPDATE 7/24)

destination Unreal Forum Index New Mapping Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Jaypeezy blank.png

UT Name: Jaypeezy UT Since: 2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 am
PostPost subject:No icon MH-Rogues: The Rogue Squadron (SECOND UPDATE 7/24)

MH-ROGUES

need coffee

Version 4 (Final[?]):
- Fixed turrets.
- Fixed brutes.
- A button pusher was not doing his job. This has been fixed.
- Minor texture/lighting changes.
- Cargo train now has a front window. See where you're going!

CHANGES:
- Some lighting here and there
- More Brutes firing standard projectiles, less of a certain custom projectile present
- Changes to map to better facilitate minibosses/bosses, improve such parts of the map (health, brushes, etc.)
- Starting area modified to fit more players, some monsters edited/removed

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

WHAT

In the midst of the Na Pali Wars, amidst the chasms between various races, a new threat has emerged recently. Disparate sects have joined forces, in what is thus far known only as the Omega Intergalactic Pirates Clan, according to limited information. This is a squadron comprised of Skaarj, Brutes, and other aliens. They are highly organized, and armed with an array of alien and human weaponry and technology. Furthermore, their familiarity with human computer and data systems has proven a competent edge in their campaign against human forces.

Your mission is to eliminate an Omega Clan presence at a distant military cargo processing facility. They have barricaded the facility at various locations, relying both on the security systems as well as physical barriers and indigenous lifeforms to deter any intrusions. Attack them hard, but don't forget - stay alert, and remember that an out-right attack will not always be the best approach...

MAP INFO:
Took me about two-three weeks to make. Wanted to say something about this a while ago but I have a nasty habit of not seeing mapping projects through, so I decided to wait until it was actually done to release it. There is some new content, a few new textures, carcass types/projectiles embedded in the MyLevel package, really tried to keep it to a minimum. Otherwise, no new texture packages, and the only music file in the archive is an Unreal track. I sure do hope for no mismatches...  Smile

A few things which deem special mention: Thanks to Cyberia-Mix for special CreatureFactory actors used in this map, which bestow spawned creatures health proportional to the amount of players in a map. I used this actor sparingly. I have no idea how you coded this but it's very awesome that you did, and I look forward to seeing more features like this in maps to create a unique MH experience!

For some reason, monsters sometimes fight each other. I didn't like that. So, I used MHCoopMonsters.u for fight-proof monsters. Now, when I saved and opened this map for the final time in UEd, the file didn't show up in the actors browser but the monsters (JSkaarj, JBrute, etc.) were still there.... so I'm going to guess this is what's supposed to happen. BUT, just in case, I included the file anyhow.

The only weapons/monsters packaged used besides the above file is UTMHPack, which includes various new weapons and pawns - I only used it for the XidiaCarRifle and its ammunition. It is included in the archive.

OTHER STUFF ABOUT THE MAP (want to be surprised by the map? Don't read this):

Hidden: 

This is the first MH map I've created, so I hope you all enjoy it! I tried to do things a little differently; relying on counters to trigger certain key events allowed me to change the path of the map in a unique way for one of the first portions of the map. Granted you have a team you can either go in all at once, or split up for separate portions of the map. Depending on the size of your team, you may want to split up rather than stick together.

ScriptedPawns have a lot of neat features! To add special gameplay features, I made certain pawns intent on triggering events which, depending on team sizes/reflexes, will effect the way the map is played or how fast it is finished. It occurs to me not everyone might like such an approach to mapping, so I also tried to use this convention sparingly. Nonetheless, one should keep their eyes peeled for any sneaky jerks...

Other than these two things, and aside from the custom actors/packages, the rest of this map is a relatively standard, linear-pathed MH map.

Hope this ends up in main!  : D
EDIT: No bot pathing ATM

Last edited by Jaypeezy on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am; edited 5 times in total
EvilGrins usa.png

UT Name: Doppleganger UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: MH-Rogues: "The Rogue Squadron"

I love those skaarjtrooper skins.

Haven't seen that one before.

Get registered or Log in
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:19 am

Played the map on Mapping serv. Here are the problems I saw:

- I got killed 3 or 4 times at the beginning because brutes can shoot directly on the vents where you come from. It's ok if they have a weak projectile like pulse balls, but they had rockets so I couldn't help but dying either to them or to skaarjs below. You may also either remove the skaarjs or the brutes from this room.

- The indestructible tentacles are a bad idea because some players will want to farm them, eventually voting the map for this sole purpose rather than playing.
You can turn them invulnerable so that players don't get points from shooting at them, by setting Pawn>ReducedDamageType to All and ReducedDamagePct to 1.0. However by doing so players can't get clear bonus from killing all monsters.
If you want players to hunt all monsters in the map for clear bonus you should give up on these immortal monsters. How about automatic cannons instead? These don't count as monsters.

- The titan's box didn't open for me, or more probably it did open and then closed forever. You should set the box' mover to bTriggerOnceOnly True (InitialState to TriggerOpenTimed would also be more correct), and set MoverEncroachType to IgnoreWhenEncroach, so the mover can't close if it meets an obstacle when trying to open. Generally IgnoreWhenEncroach is the best setting for movers in MH so you avoid problems.
It's also at least needed on the vehicles' doors.
You could do the same for the mantas/gasbags/brute doors in the middle part of the map. It's weird to see them close after opening.

- The green bolts are too fast for dU settings (which accelerate projectiles if I recall correctly). Try a speed of 2000 at first to see how it looks in game then.

I think it's all I noticed.

For possible improvements now:

Consider using MonsterHunt.MonsterMessage (in Triggers) for global messages in the middle of the screen, either for main game objectives, or storytelling. Players will be curious about the omega symbols on the monsters outfits. ;)

The end boss gets 49000 HP against a single player. A bonus of 350 per other player will make little difference.
IMO 30k for a single player is already enough, so you could reduce the Pawn>Health setting to 18k or 20k (= around 30-32k in game), then use a bonus setting of 2k or 3k per player, which is still not that much if you consider than 1p = 30k and 5p = 38k or 42k.

The health boost on the RoyalShockFlakers should be higher as well. 75HP per player is nothing when you think a sniper shot is 100/225 (normal / head shot). I think 300-600 would be fine.
Also, there's no reason to have ExtraCapacityPerCluster higher than 1 if the PlayerClusterSize is not 1, because it's just less progressive then (1-6p = 6 monsters, then 7-12p = 8 monsters, and you never have 7). If you set ExtraCapacity and ClusterSize to 1 & 3 instead of 2 & 6 you have about the same results but more progressive (1-3p = 6 monsters, 4-6p = 7 monsters, 7-9 p = 8 monsters, 10-12p = 9 monsters).

I like the looks of the map. Very UT-ish feeling. :)
Also wide rooms and nice architecture.
I think your weak point would be lighting. There are a few easy tricks that would make your lighting better, here or in your next maps. The main thing is to use separate lights for the light source itself, and for what actually lits the room.

I reworked this corridor on my end as an example. The corridor itself is lit by a light actor I added myself right in the middle of the room. For this I generally use the LightEffect NonIncidence, because it provides a uniform lighting rather than gradual like normal lights do. As a result it doesn't leave circle marks on textures, so you don't know where the lighting actually comes from. I used another NonIncidence light in the slanted part that goes upstairs. Generally the Brightness will be fairly low (50 here), while the Radius will be high (also 50 here but I could have put less).
Each of the 3 lamps is litten by the lights you originally put, now with a Radius of 5, also NonIncidence for a stronger effect, and Brightness of 200. The surfaces of the lamp textures have been set to BrightCorners, it fixes a lot of issues with surfaces being darker than they should.

Another example I reworked because it was too bright. You had all your lights in this area overlapping, which generally isn't a good idea. On this screenshot the room is now litten by the 3 lights that are highlighted. The lamp areas are litten by normal lights (no more cylinder effect) with a Radius of 10 and Brightness of 220. The orange color is just my personal curiosity. :P
Color does help enhancing the looks though.

So as you can see, it's effective and doesn't make the lighting process any harder.
Back to top Visit poster's website
Sponsor
Jaypeezy blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 am

I'm glad to see you played through with such attention! Of course I'll take all of these things into consideration. Frankly, by the time I had finished the map, I did begin to feel skeptical about the way the players came into the map, thinking what would happen if there were a lot of players, so I think I'll be reworking that ventilation area significantly.

I also wasn't aware dU had settings to accelerate projectiles. If such is the case, I think I might just nix those green bolts at the end of the map and sub them with the standard dispersion bolts. And, rework the boss bolt accordingly. While we're on the page I'm curious if you had any opinion about the other custom projectile used, if you think it's too strong, etc.

I've always been terrible at lighting  Smile so, any advice I can get I'll gratefully take. Those corridors certainly do look better. Any thoughts on the natural lighting (grated ceiling, rock hallway, cargo bridge)?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be updating this map accordingly tomorrow.
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 am

The custom flak proj was fine I think.

Jaypeezy wrote (View Post):
Any thoughts on the natural lighting (grated ceiling, rock hallway, cargo bridge)?

Seems okay.

Also note that, about the first screenshot, since there's no light source in the slanted part of the corridor area, the Brightness of the light actor to put there has to be lower than on the 2 parts with lamps (I used 30), so it looks a bit darker than near the lamps.
Jaypeezy blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I had originally placed auto-cannons where those invincible tentacles were, actually. Only they were disappearing when I would play the level, due to the defaultgametype being set as "Monsterhunt.Monsterhunt." I realized the mod just puts in the gametype automatically if the map is aptly titled "MH-soandso" so, by getting rid of that value in the level properties, the autocannons showed up just fine.
Sponsor
Jaypeezy blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: (REVISED) MH-Rogues: "The Rogue Squadron"

Updated map as per your advice... download on first posts revised version
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Rork UT Since: 2003

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: (SECOND UPDATE 7/24) MH-Rogues: "The Rogue Squadron

I think I still played the old version on the Mapping server so I couldn't enjoy the new lighting (yet, will have a look sometime), I don't know what else you reworked about it.

About the monsters: I got attacked from the back, had lots of projectiles to dodge coming from a slow corridor yet most of the time enough places to dodge for cover, the final fight is pretty challenging being shot from multiple sides. Nice! I like that. Only the last funnel (before you enter the room with the goods lift) there was no cover and after I died the monsters were inactive so I could just snipe them from a distance. There were some monsters that moved "instantanious" seemingly standing/firing besides you, not my cup of tea.

Weapon placement seemed quite ok, some respawn points lacked weapons (just the assault gun/shock available at spawnpoint 3). I didn't find any weapons at the starting point. You have to kill a bunch of monsters with the default weapon (which luckily is a sniperrifle) to get to the pulse.

The design is nice, some rooms (the one with some traps) seem a bit plain compared to the others. Lots of stuff to climb on, lots of Z-axis. Nice idea to use the green stuff for vertical movement rather then lifts. I noticed you added some teleports so you can't get stuck at the goods lift, also where teleports are used multiple teleports are available so blocking them will be harder. Lighting seems ok, a bit dark to my taste but it works well, Cyberia's tips should finish the details.

I noticed you added a little animated sequence, will killing the skaarj? change the room somehow (looking at what it runs towards it will).

Overall a very nice map, some details in design might need some work but I enjoyed it a lot!

The best way to kill skaarj is to flak it while it leaps towards you.
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:58 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: (SECOND UPDATE 7/24) MH-Rogues: "The Rogue Squadron

rork wrote (View Post):
I think I still played the old version on the Mapping server

You played the latest one. I renamed the file and overwrote the previous map version.
Sponsor
Jaypeezy blank.png

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 am

rork wrote (View Post):

I noticed you added a little animated sequence, will killing the skaarj? change the room somehow (looking at what it runs towards it will).

Glad you noticed! Those skaarj (there are two of them if I remember correctly) are indeed running to specific places trying to trigger some event or another. They aren't crucial to completing the map, but if you do kill them, you'll be rewarded in certain ways (early/increased access to certain guns and items, preventing enemies from attacking, etc.).
Zipps sweden.png

UT Name: -=]UM[=-Zipps UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: MH-Rogues: The Rogue Squadron (SECOND UPDATE 7/24)

Top class mapping, we use it if you dont mind, been missing these well-made-old-style maps :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrealmayhem

destination Unreal Forum Index   New Mapping Projects
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: