Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm

..the sense of MH..

destination Unreal Forum Index General Server Chat or Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic 
DoDo germany.png

UT Name: DoDo Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm
PostPost subject:No icon ..the sense of MH..

Hi all.

theres a question i want to ask everybody who is playing monsterhunt.
dunno if this is the right place in forum for that, but anyway..

.i had a little discussion with another player on main server yesterday.
the question was about a 'sense of a map' or 'what the proper goal in monsterhunt is'..
we had a little conflict in opinion about this, as i was saying that the sense for me is,
to kill the monsters of a map. (maps where arent tons of dumb respawns).
he said its the sense to end the map quickly as possible..

i said, why rush the map and leave the half of map aside..  couldnt be the 'sense of ANY map'.

sure, its not bad to end a map as quick as possible to get a nice teamscore, but theres also
a better teamscore if u kill em all. so ending a map quickly isnt really bad, except the point
to let all the monsters live :Zwinker:
one or two people are always just running running running.. most of people cant keep up to them.
just in thought to end it fast, they activate all monsters while running thru, leaving a mess for
all players who are coming after..   Sad

imo, its sad. isnt monsterhunt a team game ?? ..wouldnt it be nice, just to stay with the team,
to end up the map cleaned AND in a good time, if all working together?

but maybe im lost with this opinion..  Sad
so i just wanted to know , how U all think about this.

Clean the map ??   or
Run the map ??

i guess its both. but i just dont like the point of rushing people leaving their team alone,
and calling other players noobs after it. lol

so...  tell me ur opinion.

DoDo
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Anony blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: ..the sense of MH..

I agree with you, should be a team effort working together. If played smart, deaths can be minimized and breaking the team record is a nice goal. Jumping ahead (or staying behind) and getting in a 'farming' position doesn't better the team. Also, getting to the finish before removing all the monsters, defeats the whole idea behind 'Monster Hunt'.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Data_Destroyer brazil.png

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm

From my point of view:

- Monster Hunt is a cooperative gametype which you need to kill the maximum of monsters that you can get, if you sense that you are able to clean the map, then do it... but its not all maps that can be cleared because of some monsters on "impossible" places and/or due for spawning monsters factory.

- Rushing to the end is not Monster Hunt itself... rushing was "created" on dU when Team Score was implanted on dU Servers: less time to complete the map = more team score

- Also Farming is a lame thing that was "created" through the Ranking System on community, for me both Farming and Rushing are pretty lame, since some players that dont know the map wont have time to complete the see the true way to go, but Farming also increases Team Score like cleaning bonus too.

- On every map, you shouldnt focus in only one way (this is the error that everyone commits and sometimes unavoidable), unless if there is one way available... in case of many ways, you should investigate all of them because all are treated as False Way and, at the end, you will find the True Way... i hope that you understand what i said... examples: maps like Deep v2, Skaarj Castle and Temple of Nod, you need to investigate. This is a part of Monster Hunt too, challenging maps are even more better! Easier ones can get boring after some time and a lot of them dont seem enjoyable enough, thats why i used to like coop series.

- As long as people that know the map rushes, the other people dont know how to play the map can suffer being called as noob which is completely idiotic, think about people that dont even know, until today, after 6 years of dU existence, how to play TGES04 and some other maps... and rushers can leave the mess behind for other players to clean it like "Karkass Cowardish Style", so its pretty horrible. So its common for you to read "I am lost, help me!" or something like or, its simple, players can leave the server when that map is voted and this shity action of rushers can encourage people to vote for dumb maps because some of them would leave, rushers and regulars, so players would play in peace... anyone thought about it? Like, why Long Corridor d+ is voted everyday? Because its a simple map with only one way, which majority of people that rush the map leaves and no more annoyment from the regulars, so means peace for other people. No matter if the map is hard or not, people can deal with it. Offending and calling people as noob wont solve things.

- Some regulars understimate some people thinking that they are dumb, like the question about putting Bluff, Asmodeus, Skaarj Graveyard and so... on Main Server. Like "its confusing"... saying when wasnt, at least, 10 days on Main Server... And if players like the map and completes it fastly? Would put a lot of faces down for understimating them.

- If people dont know how to play the map, i think the others and regulars need to respect and, if possible, to help them, players are not forced to learn about the map, they can do it by themselves or not... well if rushers let it... on other point, on some maps like TGES06 Redux, you can see people farming than playing the map and helping others, this is also lame!

Opinion expressed...

Last edited by Data_Destroyer on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Anony blank.png

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the maps with the continued monster spawns.  Embarassed  I agree with helping the newer people get through the map. People have to remember what it was like when they first started playing, left behind and lost. Very frustrating. Again, team effort.  :thumb:
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:17 pm

There are people who want to learn and should be helped (and they are).

And there are people who don't want to learn. These people aren't "team", and should be ignored.

Quote:
- Some regulars understimate some people thinking that they are dumb, like the question about putting Bluff, Asmodeus, Skaarj Graveyard and so... on Main Server. Like "its confusing"... saying when wasnt, at least, 10 days on Main Server... And if players like the map and completes it fastly? Would put a lot of faces down for understimating them.

So when mice fail to find the cheese in the small maze, you try with a bigger maze?
Back to top Visit poster's website
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Rushing and leaving the monsters is a bad thing, rushing and killing the monsters isn't.
If players rush and clean all monsters there shouldn't be a problem, you can't expect dodging players to only press their forward button all the way only because others can't keep up.
Sponsor
Data_Destroyer brazil.png

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 am

Cyberia-Mix wrote (View Post):
Data_Destroyer wrote (View Post):

So when mice fail to find the cheese in the small maze, you try with a bigger maze?

You know what i meant, but of course, if players dont know how to deal with a small map, a larger one wont solve this issue, but a lot of people on servers know small maps, the server has a lack of challenging maps and some regulars understimate them because of this fact, thinking that they arent able to complete a real hard map, in terms of difficult and puzzle (finding your way)

HellFire wrote (View Post):
If players rush and clean all monsters there shouldn't be a problem, you can't expect dodging players to only press their forward button all the way only because others can't keep up.

This is the problem, its not all of them that rush, and/or some of them just fall behind and tries to find the way...

Its just my point of view, people can have different opinions of course. If i am wrong, consider me of "nothing i said" getaway
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Quote:
.i had a little discussion with another player on main server yesterday.
the question was about a 'sense of a map' or 'what the proper goal in monsterhunt is'..

In my pov I think that some players on the servers are there just to kill the and or have nothing better to. They usally are trolling around, screwing everything up and walking as dog off the leash.
Other players intend to beat the score and only want to get on top of the statstics list, which make them feel good.
And other just play and go with the flow and be simple minded.
There is just a really small amount of players that are playing to get inspired and try to play the map as the mapper intended

But what they all have in common is, they must like the game itself and the server itself, to make it the time worth.
Players wouldn't visit the server if they don't like the maps, wouldn't they?  Wink
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Rork UT Since: 2003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:44 pm

The sense of MH is to dodge as many rock(et)s as possible while killing monsters before dying in a big puff of smoke with bodyparts flying all around, NaraBeta ftw!

That the sissies standing behind the corner with a ripper can't keep up is too bad. Been there, done that, bored me to death (no puff of smoke, no bodyparts), got over it and learned to dodge a rocket.

I'm sorry but this is a game that takes time to learn, you won't get 10XP just for learning how to move, 40XP for your first kill 50XP for a monsterkill and then you master it. You've got to learn which weapons are most effective, learn how to dodge projectiles, learn the map, learn how to move. We've all been new to the game, we all got lost on LongCorridor but we learned, got better and had fun. Sometimes we made it to the end, sometimes we got lost, got stuck because some button had to be pressed we didn't know about because some skilled player always pushed that before amd took the wrong portal on SevenTests wandering into a monster depleted limbo. But in the end we got to know the map, learned where the buttons were, learned the fastest way and rushed through it with the best players on the team, spend time fooling around with books, farmed and explored. But learning the game takes time, some help from other players and dedication.

That being said I'm not such an ass that I won't help newbies who are lost, didn't find a weapon, want to explore (primarily happens in Coop) or learn them a few tricks if they want to. But I'm not a personal trainer and don't get paid for that so sometimes to rush is to win, besides that in most maps there's plenty of monsters to kill for everyone.

The best way to kill skaarj is to flak it while it leaps towards you.
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sponsor
EvilGrins usa.png

UT Name: Doppleganger UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:13 pm

1) I believe we should track down and kill absolutely everything on the map. Leave nothing alive, from the big dangerous monsters to the stray animals that're wandering around and would rather flee from you rather than attack you.

2) I believe that people that rush to end a map ASAP, without killing every monster, should be impact hammered / shockblasted off a cliff.

3) I don't feel that MH is necessarily a team game. I love to have someone at my back but I've played it enough to know there's some players that like to go rogue, break off from the group and go hunt solo. i'm fine with that so long as if I get in a fix I can call that person to save my digitized behind.

4) In this context, I don't know what "farming" is.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BlackWolf UT Since: 1999
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 pm

A good mix of both rushing and faming is the best way.
Don't forget the "perfect map" bonus. If the Team have killed all monsters your Teamscore is raised 30% !

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
DoDo germany.png

UT Name: DoDo Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi.

im feeling a bit like a stick in a hive about starting this theme. lol
but its good to see so much response on this..

its interesting to see all these 'opinions', anyway i think its not really worth
to 'discuss' it, cause it wont change anything on the servers i guess..
but i see, that we all seem to surf, more or less, on the same wave.  Cool

so im looking forward to some more fun games with you all jumpgrien
and i think, thats the point we all are here for..

sure, everybody has an own definition of a 'fun game', but we all should respect
these differences, and maybe just come together a bit more to have a nice, relaxed,
familiar game.. :Zwinker: (which would be MY definition of a fun game)
i mean.. just try (a little bit) to make it a fun game for !everyone.

sadly.. all this craving for stats and rankings, doesnt really support this.
but i have to deal with it. ..we all have to, in whichever direction..

..and maybe im just an old, too chilled bummer ..   lol

so..

cyas around :Zwinker:
Sponsor

destination Unreal Forum Index   General Server Chat or Problems
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: