Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
RoboCop skin Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
all server down General Server Chat or Problems Shado 0 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 pm
Shado View latest post
Xcom MH maps for Garden of Death New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 397 Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 pm
CTF-UTDMT-Gangland New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm

Server Issues Discussion

destination Unreal Forum Index General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Hyperion blank.png

UT Name: Hyperion Gender: Gender:Female

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:51 am
PostPost subject:No icon Server Issues Discussion

Hello, everyone.

I've noticed that there are threads on the forums which have been awaiting a response from the Admins (BlackWolf in particular) for a while now,
so I've decided to write this post to make it easier for them to see which issues are still unresolved and require their attention.
I've added some other problems, too. Some of these matters are quite important, so it would be much appreciated if the Admins could look into them
when they're free to, and let us all know what they think about each one of them.

MAIN ISSUES:

1. [Removed]

2. Map Uploads
I'm interested in making new maps for dU in the future, and I'm sure the other community mappers are, too.
However, currently we can't even get any maps uploaded to the Mapping server for testing.
Both BlackWolf and BoB seem to be very busy nowadays, and Demona has lost his account privileges (while not being around frequently, anyway).
Therefore, we'd really appreciate having an active member in charge of putting maps onto the Mapping server (and maybe the Main server as well, if possible).

3. Map Fixing/Removal
Link:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

There is a number of maps on the Main server that are in need of fixing and the link above mentions some of them.
Those maps can sometimes cause the server to crash or simply make it impossible to complete them.
Some would be easy to fix and we have mappers in the community ready to offer their help in fixing those maps, if the Admins would like them to.

4. [Removed]

5. Server Crashes
Recently, the Main server (not sure about the other ones) has been crashing much more thanĀ it used to.
Have you, guys, made any changes to it?

MINOR ISSUES:

1. 4th Map Vote Column
Could we please either change the last column in the Map Vote window or at least have it updated?
Currently, it lists "less played maps", but contains maps that are actually played on the server frequently (e.g. MH-CrystalMine4-Trance, MH-AircraftCarriers-vb-2b1,
MH-(dU)TownOfTheNorth). I personally think it was better when it listed new maps instead. Any opinions on this?

2. Double Enforcers
Link:
Get registered or Log in

This suggestion caused a heated discussion, but the poll shows that in the end, there were more people who liked the idea than those who opposed it.
One of the main players against the idea doesn't even seem to be active anymore.
It would be nice to have BlackWolf state his opinion on this suggestion, so we can have some closure on the topic.

3. Map Record Reset
Link:
Get registered or Log in

Personally, I don't care about the map records, as they're not the reason why I play MonsterHunt.
However, it seems that a number of players supported the idea in the past, and I'm sure they'd enjoy the experience of setting new records more easily.
Right now, it's extremely hard and rare to beat the old records, unless you gather a sufficient amount of skilled players, which is often close to impossible.
I remember that such a reset has been done in the past.

Thank you for responding in advance and I'm sorry for the long post.

Hyperion

Last edited by Hyperion on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:50 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Server Issues Discussion

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Thank you!
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:04 am

This is something Hyp and I have discussed a little recently. We've both been around the community for many years; myself since the very beginning, and Hyp a few years later. We both care about the servers rather a lot, and want to see them last for many more years to come.
I fully understand that running a popular server for this long must be tiring, but I feel the servers could use a little attention just to help them survive that little bit longer. I know BoB and Wolfi must be very busy, but if one or both of you could give your feedback, it would be most appreciated.

MAIN ISSUES:

1. New dU Staff Members
I gave my opinion on this in the other topic.

2. Map Uploads
I currently have an updated version of BoxesRemade][ on the mapping server waiting to be put onto the main server. I also have a neater, more balanced version of old Ristvak waiting to be put on the mapping server.
Furthermore, I have a 75% completed project and 2 - 3 more maps in line to be made. It's hard to get motivated to make them when I have no idea how long it'll take for them to be put onto the servers.

It would be fantastic to have someone who can upload maps for us on a regular basis. It would help out the mappers and the community at the same time.

3. Map Fixing/Removal
There are many maps on the server which can easily be abused (SunkenShip, HighSchool, RuinsBridge etc). There are also some which can break and become stuck, some which cause lots of crashes and others with monsters that cannot be reached.

I would be willing to fix as many of these maps as is wanted, again, assuming the community is okay with it.

Maps that should be removed:
- Ataa0: This map causes lots of people to crash. This could stop new players from returning. I realise that this map used to bring in lots of players, but that's not the case any more. It's not played as often as it was, and only causes frustration and crashes. This map should be removed.
- WASTED: This should only be on the crazy server. There just aren't enough players at any one time for this map to be played. When it is actually voted, many players leave, leaving just a few to play through this map for 2+ hours. It definitely keeps a lot of people away during those 2 hours.

4. Player "Karkass"
I've said most of what I have to say on this issue. He bullies and harasses players who don't follow the way he plays things. He tries to dictate gameplay and shouts/swears at anyone who does otherwise. Many chatlogs show him insulting players who don't do what he wants, and trying to tell them how to play, instead of letting them play how they want to. He is an incredibly negative influence on the server, and the server often empties when he is around. He is rude and arrogant.

5. Server Crashes
The main server has been crashing more than it once did. I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue or if it's just coincidence. It might be worth looking into.

MINOR ISSUES:

1. 4th Map Vote Column
This column is hugely out of date. 3 of the maps in there are played constantly, even though it's for "rarely played" and "new" maps. TownOfTheNorth, CrystalMine4 and AircraftCarriers should all be removed from there. I say that even though I enjoy the latter 2 a lot. Wasn't the idea of the column to cause a wider variety of maps to be played?

2. Double Enforcers
I was very vocal about this topic. I still firmly believe that double Enforcers would freshen up the gameplay for some players, especially when new maps are very rare. It wouldn't impact the normal player who plays the game as usual, but it would be a huge benefit to a select few, and would only be a very tiny download. The file is made and is present on the mapping server, so it wouldn't be much hassle to place it on the main server.

There are much more useless downloads that players have to go through, such as the welcome messages and welcome boxes, so I don't think it'd be much problem.

Furthermore, the arguments against the idea made no sense. The main claim was that they'd be too powerful, but I have been using the weapons for many years, and they are far from being too powerful. Kryxix did further testing and came to the same conclusion. A standard Minigun is far more powerful. This addition would make a useless weapon slot (Single Enforcer) be viable in certain situations. I see no drawbacks to this addition.

3. Map Record Reset
Records really, really need a reset. Most of the current records were set years ago, when there were a lot of talented and experienced players around. The quality AND quantity of players has dropped since the records were set, meaning most will never be beaten again. The only ones that get beaten semi-regularly are records on newer maps.

Resetting the records will give extra incentive to play on the servers (For those who like record breaking and competition), as they will feel like the records are actually achievable. Making the players feel like they've achieved something will always be a positive thing for the server, and I'm sure it would cause people to play for longer.

OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:

1. Stats
I like the MH Stats page on the forums; they're interesting. But the problem with them is that they promote selfish gameplay on a gamemode that is all about teamwork and co-op gameplay. There are players who avoid dying, at the expense of other players, so they can maintain a higher points per hour ratio. Some even use different .ini files when it's a map they're not confident with, simply so they can keep their high score. This is very toxic behaviour.

I wouldn't want to see stats removed, but I would suggest that the "Top Players" should be ordered by time spent on the server, instead of being based on their score. Not only would this hopefully put an end to selfish behaviour, but it could also cause players who care about stats to spend much more time on the server, so that they can be top of the leaderboards. And, obviously, the more people who are on the server, the more chance you have of others joining in, because they see the server is alive, busy and active.

2. Private Server
Just a minor thing. Can the "MonsterHunt Privat" server listing on the left side of the website PLEASE be removed? It's been down for years and it looks very ugly there.

3. Relics
This may need its own topic. Relics ruin a lot of maps. The Defense relic is far, FAR more powerful than any other relic available. Anyone who grabs it will most likely not die, unless they are inexperienced, get hit by a very powerful projectile or get ganged up on. On the other hand, the Regen relic is almost useless. I see players deliberately avoid it when they see it.

I would like to see the Regen relic tweaked so it can heal up to 350 health, or maybe even overheal to 500. This would make it useful. Maybe the Defense relic could absorb less damage? Either this, or removing relics would be the best option, in my opinion, despite how much I love the speed relic.

That's most of what I have to say. If you read all of that, then you're one of the crazy ones, but thank you for reading my ramblings. I just want to see the server continue to succeed and for the current negative atmosphere to vanish.

Thanks,

Ninja.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Commander_ITA italy.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Commander_ITA UT Since: 2007

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:22 am

Wow Guys ! That's the Best Summary Post i ever Seen.
My Compliments to Hyperion and Ninja for your work. You cannot imagine how it can help me after my absence period.
Of course this Thread need Admins interact, but as far concern me, i may help on some.

1) New dU Staff Members: I already posted on that thread.
2) Maps Uploads : i know Demona was on thatjob,  but he looks inactive. If i'm right, Even Rork was on that, but i dunno if he's still around.
3) Map Fix/Removal : well, some need a fix but as discussed in some post, some "shortcut" stay in original mapper project, like profit by boxes etc.. Here stay at fair play avoid to use them. Personally i don't like to use any, but i understand sometime can be unpleasant. Anyway Ata0 and Wasted are 2 of my favorite . We are in Democracy but i hope they will be not removed. At least fixed Smile
4) Karkass: i will write more on proper thread but....i don't think it's a Main issue...Karkass is just...Karkass. Even i don't like his game style, as far he stay back rules edge, i tolerate him.
5) Server Crashes: that's an issue. Many experienced Lags and Server go to crash . Even Forum is inaccessible sometime :\

Minor Issues:
MAP RECORD RESET:
I've already discussed about this with Admins after Hellfire posted this request. Wolfi answered that resetting them is a really deep Huge operation on a database. Even i'm not an expert about data-mining operations, he explained me it should be a Titanic Operation, so better leave it as is.

STATS: well....UT is a point based game and it has a sophisticate way to calculate. Of course here are around Scorer-Players, who concentrate more on making score then team-job. We largely discuss about it , as well as Farming Gaming, and we concluded that it concern personal Game Style and cannot be included as Rules Violations. So, it's up to Smart Players understand how points can be "indicative" about a player job on a match. As far concern me, i always try to do a good team job. If need to sacrifice points to let team go on, i do, but i must leave free those  people who don't "follow" this game style :\

Well, I briefly answered at points i could. Of course Admins word is the last and required. I will answer more exhaustively  in proper thread as soon is possible.

Thanks Guys for your Collaboration,

Commander_ITA
Ninja_Pirate blank.png

UT Name: Ninja_Pirate UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:42 am

Thank you for your feedback, Commander.

But just to clarify on two points:

- I don't care about Karkass' playstyle, I was complaining about how he bullies people. I could easily find plenty of chatlogs with examples of his bullying and toxic attitude.
- By stats I mean the stats that you can find on the website (
Get registered or Log in
). They're broken due to people using different IP addresses, different UT copies etc, and the people on the crazy server get far more points than those on the main. There are players who play in negative ways just to get higher up on the stat leaderboard. Karkass being one of them.
Hyperion blank.png

UT Name: Hyperion Gender: Gender:Female

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:23 am

Thank you for your thoughts, Commander! Ninja has already clarified what we'd meant, but here are a few more words from me.

MAIN ISSUES

2. Map Uploads
Even if Rork did have access to the Mapping server, he is indeed inactive, sadly.

3. Map Fixing/Removal
Removing map shortcuts is debatable, and this topic isn't about them.
It's mainly about maps that can break during gameplay, making it impossible to make progress, forcing players to revote
or causing the server to crash. Examples include: MH-subway, MH-Forever-Fix-2 and MH-UnderwaterAssaultV2.
The thread is also about removing some maps from the server, but I realise that's far more complicated, as opinions differ.
Sponsor
EmperorHunter usa.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Emperor_Warrior UT Since: 2001 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:39 pm

I see some Issues as well

Main Issues

1.Map removal and Fixing
There are maps need of fixes and maps need to be remove there are maps I tolerate and those I don't tolerate truth is I just deal with it and move on

2. New du staff member
I agree we need a new staff member but best pick one that is good controlling emotions and is kind to staff members and players on server and forums

3.Karkass
As much want raise hell on him I do best thing just ignore him and tolerate him I been abuse and bullied in the past and I take like a man and pretend they don't exist

4. Sever crashes are common and a issue problem is we can't go ahead replace a old server right away what we need to do take time to fix and improve the servers they been on servers on other games I've played in the past

Minor Issues

1. Map record resets
Having this will be nice but problem is could erase other players scores and stats and having that is bad in my option

2. Double Enforcers
At first it was cool but when played main server I don't get them so why did we need this at all

3.4th map vote column
I found this pointless because there are lot of maps not played on first, second, and third columns

So there are my Issues hopefully these can be fix or not but like here your feedback on my options

destination Unreal Forum Index   General Discussion
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: