Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
CTF-UTDM-DoomsJustice Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 am
EvilGrins View latest post
Possible shutdown of epic game servers General Discussion EmperorHunter 5 Sat May 11, 2024 1:58 pm
Eternity View latest post
Reliving the past- about dU General Discussion Terraniux 17 Sat May 11, 2024 1:50 pm
Eternity View latest post
Mirror Universe skin Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sat May 11, 2024 12:49 pm
female dU Player Photos male Introduce Yourself Terraniux 315 Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 am
Terraniux View latest post
Dragon Warrior Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:42 pm

-[ The Crystal Mine v2 ] -
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
destination Unreal Forum Index New Mapping Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: -[ The Crystal Mine v2 ] - Download ready !

I've been away for while, is my map online on main? Idea
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: -[ The Crystal Mine v2 ] - Download ready !

-BoB- wrote (View Post):
Don't worry it will be going on the main server soon. Smile

I hope that is a promise, a few weeks have passed. Rolling Eyes
When the map is on main, I can listen to the reactions/feedback  Cool So I can start a new project in 2011, perhaps a multimapper project would be a good idea.
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:22 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: -[ The Crystal Mine v2 ] -

I dont want to complain, but when is my map about to get uploaded?!  panic
Im losing motivation... Sad
Sponsor
-BoB- uk.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BoB UT Since: 2005
votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:34 pm

I will put it onto main tonight terra Smile
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
-BoB- uk.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BoB UT Since: 2005
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 am

Its on the main server now.
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Ok thanks Bob Cool
Sponsor
Zacman_the_damned australia.png

UT Name: Zacman_The_Damned UT Since: 2006
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:25 am

Got it sussed, using Dispatchers, roundrobins and Counters  Idea
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Zacman_the_damned wrote (View Post):
Got it sussed, using Dispatchers, roundrobins and Counters  Idea

Roundrobins are also a good idea, idd.
This actor will trigger an event each time it is triggered, in sequence from a list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Well the map has been played a few times now, people seem to like it.
But they dont know about some secrets Smile.Very fast persons who directly go foward just to end the map, ruins the whole gameplay Sad

They map is designed to give the player a real adventure and must played relaxed and with a bit sense, then you will discover something very nice!!!
You wont believe your eyes what kind of adventure / this actually is  Cool
Sponsor
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm

I couldn't play it much so far but there are three things that bug me a lot:

1) It's super dark. Not as in "atmosphere" dark but "I can't see anything" dark, and no map has ever done this to me.
In the whole underground human base I have to follow the lamps to read the layout and find my path, because anything not near a light source is just black.
Shouldn't be a problem to tone up the lighting a bit to make it comfortable while maintaining the same feeling.

2) The secret stone to open the exit is really poorly placed. I know it has little importance because it's a one time puzzle and everyone ends up knowing about it, but this got our 5-6 players team blocked for like 10 mins, if not more since eventually someone who already knew decided to help. Otherwise it would probably have ended with a revote.
I would suggest you to move the secret stone to another spot, so that next time we will have to find it again, but to make this spot look more "special" so finding the stone there will look more logical. In a tunnel, behind a waterfall, between plants, stuff like this. The lamp was really too subtle as a  giveaway, because it's too far from the actual spot, and that the actual spot itself is invisible. What you had done just earlier with the other stone switch sticking out of the wall in the dark was much better.

3) The little lift in the skaarj building is annoying when you fall on its ceiling and block its return to the top. This wouldn't happen if it was just a simple platform. HOWEVER, even like that, it's still troublesome to have a lift so small that players have to take turns and use the lift in smaller groups. It separates the team for no reason and you have nothing to gain from this (worse: it gives the first group extra time to rush the next area of the map alone while the other groups have to wait and hope to catch up).
For fairness you should remove the lift completely and just leave the hole, or make some stairs.

Other than that, I think the lighting in the outside areas is too gloomy (looks like SteelHellV2 but it doesn't suit your skybox) and could benefit from being a bit livelier.
The design itself has an excellent scale for large teams and some areas look really lovely (especially the green part of the mine).
Back to top Visit poster's website

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Cyberia-Mix wrote (View Post):
I couldn't play it much so far but there are three things that bug me a lot:

1) It's super dark. Not as in "atmosphere" dark but "I can't see anything" dark, and no map has ever done this to me.
In the whole underground human base I have to follow the lamps to read the layout and find my path, because anything not near a light source is just black.
Shouldn't be a problem to tone up the lighting a bit to make it comfortable while maintaining the same feeling.

2) The secret stone to open the exit is really poorly placed. I know it has little importance because it's a one time puzzle and everyone ends up knowing about it, but this got our 5-6 players team blocked for like 10 mins, if not more since eventually someone who already knew decided to help. Otherwise it would probably have ended with a revote.
I would suggest you to move the secret stone to another spot, so that next time we will have to find it again, but to make this spot look more "special" so finding the stone there will look more logical. In a tunnel, behind a waterfall, between plants, stuff like this. The lamp was really too subtle as a  giveaway, because it's too far from the actual spot, and that the actual spot itself is invisible. What you had done just earlier with the other stone switch sticking out of the wall in the dark was much better.

3) The little lift in the skaarj building is annoying when you fall on its ceiling and block its return to the top. This wouldn't happen if it was just a simple platform. HOWEVER, even like that, it's still troublesome to have a lift so small that players have to take turns and use the lift in smaller groups. It separates the team for no reason and you have nothing to gain from this (worse: it gives the first group extra time to rush the next area of the map alone while the other groups have to wait and hope to catch up).
For fairness you should remove the lift completely and just leave the hole, or make some stairs.

Other than that, I think the lighting in the outside areas is too gloomy (looks like SteelHellV2 but it doesn't suit your skybox) and could benefit from being a bit livelier.
The design itself has an excellent scale for large teams and some areas look really lovely (especially the green part of the mine).

Well as mapper you should know that when you make every room/area very light it does not make the map very........................ehm............ nice....
Some area's/rooms are very bright and some parts very dark(Ok, maybe I did make it too dark), thats the whole purpose of making the map 'dynamic'. Build changeable.
And it is a mine attacked by skaarj  Razz, so some lights are not working properly. baeh

:P

Anyway thanks for your comment. I appreciate you are honest to me. Wink  
I can use these tips for my next project.
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55 pm

As I said, making it brighter while preserving the atmosphere is perfectly feasible. Look at MiningOutpost4F, Redux or Unreal's Dig/Dug maps and see how well it works.
Back to top Visit poster's website
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 am

Cyberia-Mix wrote (View Post):
As I said, making it brighter while preserving the atmosphere is perfectly feasible.

True Cool
Zacman_the_damned australia.png

UT Name: Zacman_The_Damned UT Since: 2006
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Terraniux wrote (View Post):

And it is a mine attacked by skaarj  Razz, so some lights are not working properly. baeh .

In whitch case, I advise a Flickering light (Not a god aweful strobe that causes players to quit because the map is actually causing them to have trouble seeing things, as in, they can't see the stuff next to the computer, as one map on the server I have seen cause) and reduce it's radius. Also, to make some lighting for playability, put under damaged lights some exposed wires, a smashed fusebox, with electrical flickers coming from it, making it look broken and also giving that much-needed light.  :thumb:
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

destination Unreal Forum Index   New Mapping Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: