Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Female Officers · ToS Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 am
EvilGrins View latest post
Starfleet skin Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 am
RoboCop skin Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm
all server down General Server Chat or Problems Shado 0 Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 pm
Shado View latest post
Xcom MH maps for Garden of Death New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 397 Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:31 pm

Mapping and stealing

destination Unreal Forum Index General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:52 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Mapping and stealing

I want to have my say on yesterday's story because I don't like the idea of people possibly siding with Terra believing in the lies he tried to spread.

I didn't want to intervene at first because Terra oversteps his place in a non-existent issue, to such a great length that it doesn't deserve that people waste their time replying.
I've been quite annoyed to see that Thunderbolt felt that he needed to defend himself when he had absolutely no reason to. I don't know if Hellfire did before the posts were removed from his thread.

Thunderbolt > It's important that you DO look at and open other people's maps. It's the biggest part of LEARNING, both for acquiring technique and feeding your mind with ideas. It's just common knowledge that everyone, artists, scientists and technicians, can't progress without learning from the work of their predecessors. It's properly incredible to think that Terra might apparently not have acknowledged such an elemental thing.

I think it's obvious enough to everyone except Terra himself that he did not invent icy valleys, glowing crystals, feedback on secrets, and even less the English language he names his maps with.
OperationSaveSanta did not invent icy valleys and glowing crystals any more either. Neither did Unreal. Goddamn.

XMasAdventure does look similar to OperationSaveSanta.
Might be because OSS is a nice map and made you want to make something similar yourself, or it might be because you know, it's a Christmas map, and Christmas has err, snow, and pretty colors, and how the hell do you place natural pretty colors in Unreal if not with glowing crystals (besides the natural connection snow / ice / crystal at that)?
Say you want to make a Christmas outdoor map but oh dear OperationSaveSanta did the same. Bummer. Gonna say OSS copyrighted Christmas? This just makes no sense.
Even if XMasAdventure is in fact deliberately based on OSS, it's as much of a good thing, because tributes create bonds that give consistency to the game.
Lately I started a map in which I stole a fire pot from LostInTime, so that players seeing it can tell "hey look, the nalis from LostInTime built this too". And I'm pretty sure that Derdak2rot would enjoy that I tipped my hat to his works, like people in the mapping community normally react, friendly and stuff. But I suppose you can expect no less from a guy who ripped off CityIntro when he made LiandriConflict/Invasion, stole the concept of LongCorridor to make LongCorridor2006, blatantly inspired Shakrah from Chizra Temple, and God knows what more.

Terra could have, and should have, acknowledged XMasAdventure with a smile, thinking "hey, cool map, maybe a tribute to SaveSanta, I see they're doing a couple things the same way I do, which means it's good I guess ;]" (and I'll say it again Terra has never been the first person to do any of these things). He could even have reacted saying "am I so good that you had to copy everything from me? Very Happy1" (which is a good joke as long as you don't actually claim it for true!).
That would have been the good course of this thread. Not ruining the mood with egomaniac nonsense. That's why I don't like Ninja's replies in the poll thread like anyone other than Terra may have done something bad, because no, no one except him did.

And some quotes.

"What Hellfire, Thunderbolt, Blackwolf and Demona are say is true, Terraniux has no value here, not in the past or in future"
> Delicious dramatic staging.

"Terraniux's maps are shit anyway, makes allways a mess and we won't miiss him anway"
> I can like your maps and think you're a horrible person. Or the opposite. Isn't it yet another attempt to bring the discussion on your maps for no reason?

"Terraniux is not going anywhere, what others are telling is nothing but crap and he actually deserve a honoured place after the things he made for this community"
> I can think you're doing complete sh*t in the current situation but that you're an honorable user overall. Or the opposite, again. Leave the full white/black thinking to female teenagers.

"F*ck this complete mess, Terraniux can go and so can others"
> Correct!

"I like the work that Terraniux's creates, he stays. If he is going, I am going too."
> I like the work Terraniux creates and I don't see how that is related with me or him leaving or staying.
Back to top Visit poster's website
NECRIS croatia.png

UT Name: NECRIS UT Since: 2007 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:10 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Mapping and stealing

Hm..i was thinking, if i learn how to make maps i will make remake of Harobed village with 2 sides for Siege mod with song Elisha-Above and Beyond which is actually a remix from hub2 song which appears in harobed village (check video game music topic). Is that stealing or just remaking because i saw some guys from siege remaking november map and other original maps from UT.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:05 am

NECRIS wrote (View Post):
Hm..i was thinking, if i learn how to make maps i will make remake of Harobed village with 2 sides for Siege mod with song Elisha-Above and Beyond which is actually a remix from hub2 song which appears in harobed village (check video game music topic). Is that stealing or just remaking because i saw some guys from siege remaking november map and other original maps from UT.

If u got permission from the original author it's no stealing Wink
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:37 pm

NECRIS wrote (View Post):

You have nothing to worry about.

What matters when reusing something is credit and profit. And you're making none of these.

What you're stealing isn't the thing you reuse, it's the potential credit from its author(s) it and the potential profit you can generate from it.
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BlackWolf UT Since: 1999
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:40 pm

And if the author is not catchable? Like a 7 Years old map?
I think 50% of the maps we have, the author is not activ anymore. You you can't contact him because no Email or website...

Is it enough give give him credits at the project?

Wolfi
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Rork UT Since: 2003

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:01 pm

It depends on the license if it's stealing or using. Look for the original package and check the readme (if both exist), there should be a notice somewhere if it can't be used. If you, after considerable effort, can't find the license and there are no known restrictions from the author I'd say feel free to use it but at least give credit to the original author.

The best way to kill skaarj is to flak it while it leaps towards you.
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sponsor
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Better would be if we try to make a mapping codex. (or something else).
So we have a good collection which can help others if they have the same question..
I put them on the HP for all if we have a good one.

Wolfi
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm

BlackWolf wrote (View Post):
So we have a good collection which can help others if they have the same question..
I put them on the HP for all if we have a good one.

Wolfi

cool idea!
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:10 am

BlackWolf wrote (View Post):
So we have a good collection which can help others if they have the same question.

What are you calling a mapping codex exactly?
Sponsor
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Somthing like:

- Editing map needs the authorization from the author, if the author is not detectable, don't change the copyright or name of the map. But adding your name to the map author info should not be a problem.
- Copy things from a map is allowed how long you add a info into your map.
- recreate things from a map....
- use music which is copyrighted
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Then it only concerns mappers. Why would that go on the homepage? You mean the download area?
NECRIS croatia.png

UT Name: NECRIS UT Since: 2007 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm

The map i want to recreate was one of first maps ever made in Unreal Razz.
I think 1996, but still its good if u copy it and paste it as RED-BLUE side.
The siege mod requires secret places(well, houses, church, mercenary ship) and wide areas and camp places (church tower).
Its basicly a PERFECT map for siege if you make it work in teams as 2 sided map and if i ever remake it i will name it : Harobed villages war
However if you take a closer look at harobed you will see its not an independed map, because its FHUB1b or so called Dark arena.
So i had an idea..Remove the Dark arena part and add the space ship rooms but not the mercenary design but the space marine design which has alots of personal rooms and turbolifts which can also be used to climb on top of the ship. If you want to know more about siege mod there is a clan which has most active servers.
They are Unreal killers, most active siege clan and they have recreated one map 2 times lol and one map they recreated 5 times in diffrent editions.
And the old harobed song will not be put it, i will however put the harobed song remix which i already said i posted in Video games music and UT remixes forum topics. But thats only when i learn how to make maps (Google is my best friend  Laughing ).
I can already predict the players in that map  Very Happy1
One more thing.. it is a team game so i will have to remove the monsters from it but i can keep nali rabbits but i dont think that will pass even though theres one rabbit in that map  Razz
Although there is one stupid thing about siege, when siege mappers are making the maps they dont add weapons in it (because for siege you create a supplier which gives you weapons) so i decided that it will have weapons so it can be used as a CTF map too because siege already removes the weapons by itself.
Sponsor
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Cyberia-Mix wrote (View Post):
Then it only concerns mappers. Why would that go on the homepage? You mean the download area?

Because we have "some" mappers or "want soon start mapping people here". Why not want to help them with that points? Do you think its the wrong place?

I would publish that here:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

With an extra sub menu called mapping

Wolfi
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Seems nice. Honestly I don't think this is really needed but it doesn't hurt anyway.
Zipps sweden.png

UT Name: -=]UM[=-Zipps UT Since: 2003 Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:11 am

Here is a question around this, If you as a client download the map from a server to play it ts in his/her  possession physically.We have this to and there is nothing we can do about it really....

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrealmayhem
Sponsor
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:50 am

And it's a good thing.

destination Unreal Forum Index   General Discussion
Page 1 of 1