Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm
Unreal Ranger Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 pm

beer -[The Spirit of UT99 and UED2.0]- beer

destination Unreal Forum Index Mapping Development and Skinning
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:26 am
PostPost subject:No icon beer -[The Spirit of UT99 and UED2.0]- beer

- thread content deleted for personal reasons.

Last edited by Terraniux on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: |Uploading maps keeps the spirit of UT99 and mapping goi

Terraniux wrote (View Post):
I feel like I have posted more than 10.000 posts in a minute. Surprised

Actually ur spamming the entire forum with map posts and different topics crazy
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:57 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: |Uploading maps keeps the spirit of UT99 and mapping goi

HellFire wrote (View Post):

True, I am sure I get punished for that. I hope not with a barber wipe.
No, I am not trying to be funny here. You know that this is serious bullshit.

Terra out.
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: beer -[The Spirit of UT99 and UED2.0]- beer

Bullshit or not, all I read everytime I visit the forum is mapping posts which could be all in one topic, instead of 100
U got 50+ posts only in one week, I mean that's sick.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:10 am

Bullshit or not, all I read everytime I visit the forum is mapping posts which could be all in one topic, instead of 100
U got 50+ posts only in one week, I mean that's sick.

I dont see the problem? Do you? My Intention is just to keep things a bit lively on the forum. And I don't care if persons will not / Do not read my posts because of the fact that they are just not interested.
I do no need that much attention, Yes I do have a social life. Every one is a nolifer at some times, like a I am now. Shouldn't be a big deal.
My posts are placed with the intention to help, make fun and just posting normally things as you would do like any other forum.

Clear about that? Cool, ok nice.
Zacman_the_damned australia.png

UT Name: Zacman_The_Damned UT Since: 2006
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 am

In general, I disagree with the way most MH mappers release their maps. Rather than release the 1st version you've made to the public, Internal Betas are a good way to weed out bugs before the map ever sees the light of day. Alpha, Beta and Gamma releases from me won't ever be released publicly. Ever. Because the first version of a map you make will ALWAYS have some bug. It's a fact. No-one makes a perfect map in one hit. It's impossible, unless you're doing really really simple maps like CTF/Insta maps. And you won't find all the bugs alone. However, most players on servers are just players, they don't know all that much about mapping. Even on the DU servers, short of the admin and a few players who map a bit, generally all the feedback you'll get is "This map sucks" "Why" "I dunno, It just sucks." Find some other mappers who are willing to test your map for you, preferably on a smaller private/unused server that's a lot less busy. This way, you have feedback from people who know what they're talking about. Also:
Quote:
They have different opinions. What person X likes, is perhaps disliked by person Y

This is true. And, Non-Mapping players are the worst for it, it's like Web Design, if you listen to nothing EXCEPT what the players want, you end up with a monstrosity, because players don't always know what they want, it's up to the mapper to find a balance between what the players say they want, what's FUNCTIONAL, and what the mapper wants, like web design (Good example
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
)

I generally have 3 Alpha/Beta/Gamma releases that are CLOSED betas. My map, Grave of the Machine, which is only just now on the mapping server, is the 4th version of the map, however only the first Public version. Rather than putting in on a big server to start with, find someone who's got the free time and server to test some of the earlier ones. (These 3 versions turned up annoying bugs and gameplay problems that won't ever see the light of day. Entire sections of Grave of the Machine were wiped and redone, and entire new sections added, The map ended about 1.5x as long as the original in the current release) Better to test the map among a small group of other mappers and admin rather than put it up on a public server for every version loaded with bugs. Like I said, sometimes "Bug Fixing" leads to tearing parts of the map up and replacing them, and it's better not to have to make players on a public server play a billion different versions of the same map so they can never learn it. Other than myself, only 2 or 3 other people ever saw the Alpha, Beta and Gamma versions of Grave of the Machine. Unexpected bugs appear online that wouldn't offline, etc. My release schema:

First map release : INTERNAL ALPHA -No-one but me and the testers will ever see this version
Second map release: INTERNAL BETA -Same as above. Tested to make sure no bugs caused by my fixes/my going crazy and redoing large halves of the map  Embarassed
Third map release: INTERNAL GAMMA -ONLY if the Beta turns up with bugs.
REAL First map release: Public Release -When the Gamma is definately bug free, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IT BECOMES PUBLIC, the rest of the world doesn't see anything but screenshots until now
REAL 2nd Map Release: Final Fix If enough bugs crop up in the final for some strange reason, this will be released
OVERHAUL release : Start this crap again If the map is still screwed in the Final Fix, I overhaul everything, take it back to the start, because obviously, if after all that testing it's still screwed, I probably scewed something up right at the start that is just going to keep biting me in the ass, so time to ditch this and start over (See: The Wasteland)
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor
Tarantella uk.png

UT Name: Tarantella UT Since: 1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 am

Time consuming I know but is there a place for bot pathing in maps under development?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:35 am

AI Pathing should be in all MH maps anyway, since monsters (Especially queens) Can't function properly without it. AI Pathing for the engine is as vital as lighting IMO no matter what gametype.
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am

Zacman_the_damned wrote (View Post):
AI Pathing should be in all MH maps anyway, since monsters (Especially queens) Can't function properly without it. AI Pathing for the engine is as vital as lighting IMO no matter what gametype.

If you do not place things like pathnodes, the relic system of the dUmh mutator can not work properly. ; )
Sponsor
Doom romania.png

UT Name: DOOM Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:13 pm

this
Every one is a nolifer at some times, like a I am now.

and this

lead(?) to this:

Laughing
arent best examples from all your posts but closest in forum to my post (im lazy to search for better ones now Razz ) for what i mean (damn i made an another post for that but was power energy fall/fail from my provider and all lost Sad maybe better that happened cos it was bit too long, hope will be shorter now ...) (u gave me some adices about posting n thx again but now my turn to  Laughing ):
-if u acuse yourself for anything others (some of) will do it sure(!) too, if u dont maybe they wont ... :Zwinker: (believe me)
-dont critic/ize yourself, or say (almost) anything bad about your posts/behaviour/... cos people will say "yea, right/indeed, why he said/did that? is so ... blah" cos they sure will see, if case, bad things/...
-doing so, maybe u only start others to think to ... or, worse, u admit that someth. bad/wrong, and even "ahh he knew that is bad/wrong this but still did/said it! >Smile nasty bit** Terra!"  Laughing
repeat, the above 2 arent best ex., i saw others (post of u) even ...
-if u post like ... talkin with yourself or critics to yourself .. and another sh*** blah u'll be usually/most frequently wrong understood, ppl will think (mostly wrong) that know u when in fact they dont :Zwinker:
(first respect yourself and then ...)
nobody laugh too much pls!  Evil or Very Mad  Laughing

(yea yea i know its case for me too for some from above, some times ... :p)

Get registered or Log in

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:53 pm

DOOMinator wrote (View Post):
this
Every one is a nolifer at some times, like a I am now.

and this

lead(?) to this:

Laughing
arent best examples from all your posts but closest in forum to my post (im lazy to search for better ones now Razz ) for what i mean (damn i made an another post for that but was power energy fall/fail from my provider and all lost Sad maybe better that happened cos it was bit too long, hope will be shorter now ...) (u gave me some adices about posting n thx again but now my turn to  Laughing ):
-if u acuse yourself for anything others (some of) will do it sure(!) too, if u dont maybe they wont ... :Zwinker: (believe me)
-dont critic/ize yourself, or say (almost) anything bad about your posts/behaviour/... cos people will say "yea, right/indeed, why he said/did that? is so ... blah" cos they sure will see, if case, bad things/...
-doing so, maybe u only start others to think to ... or, worse, u admit that someth. bad/wrong, and even "ahh he knew that is bad/wrong this but still did/said it! >Smile nasty bit** Terra!"  Laughing
repeat, the above 2 arent best ex., i saw others (post of u) even ...
-if u post like ... talkin with yourself or critics to yourself .. and another sh*** blah u'll be usually/most frequently wrong understood, ppl will think (mostly wrong) that know u when in fact they dont :Zwinker:
(first respect yourself and then ...)
nobody laugh too much pls!  Evil or Very Mad  Laughing

(yea yea i know its case for me too for some from above, some times ... :p)

No you are easy to figure out.
Your posts must be read 10000+ before someone even dares to reply / quote your post.
Doom romania.png

UT Name: DOOM Gender: Gender:Male

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:34 pm

wasnt about that/same thing! and u know very well that! Razz why do u change (the) subject? well forget it Razz i was well-intended but ...

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Sponsor
EA_Elemental england.png

UT Name: [SATA]Blood Asp UT Since: 1999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 am

The Unreal Editor has to be treated like a child *or like HellFire Razz* jokes lol, But yeah the editor is like a tempermental child, it always manages to find a way to completely piss off the user of it, which i suppose is why a lot of people give it up or never started using it in the first place.

but when ya manage it, it's alrite to use when there is nothing else to do..

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Back to top MSN Messenger
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 am

... What's the point of this thread?

Zac > There's no such thing as "gamma" versions. Alpha is building, beta is adjusting, and post-release modifications are "patches".
Your "internal gamma" is just an additional beta. What do you think "25" in "MH-Terraniux-Beta-25" means?

And maps very rarely ever get magically screwed up like you seem to imply. Most probably you lack experience to tell what you did wrong (which is possibly the whole map depending on your state of knowledge).

Tarantella wrote (View Post):
Time consuming I know but is there a place for bot pathing in maps under development?

Is this a general question or only to people posting in this thread?
Back to top Visit poster's website

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 am

It's the naming schema, technically going by latin alphabet. Potato Potahto. (Alpha=A, Beta=B, Gamma=C)
Sponsor

destination Unreal Forum Index   Mapping Development and Skinning
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: