Welcome to destination Unreal
Please sign in Here or Register
warning  Welcome to destination Unreal, To access all areas of this site please register an account by clicking here now. warning

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Club Smiley Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:45 pm
EvilGrins View latest post
DM-UTDMS-BULLFeartower2 New Mapping Projects EvilGrins 0 Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
Screenshots Thread UT Screenshots and Movies POTS 396 Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 am
Dogs & Cats Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
Black Adam Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:47 pm
Unreal Ranger Mapping Development and Skinning EvilGrins 0 Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 pm

Mapping plans for future
Goto page 1, 2  Next
destination Unreal Forum Index New Mapping Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Terraniux netherlands.png

UT Name: Terraniux UT Since: 1999

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 am
PostPost subject:No icon Mapping plans for future

scratched... only old drama.

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:45 am
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Mapping plans for future: NONE, I quit.

Drop your immature thirst for praise and learn to work for yourself.

They mightn't dare to tell you but people who read this think the same.

Terraniux wrote (View Post):
If I do not ask, or do not make announcements like how the progress is, the topic stays dead. A topiclock would fit better then, instead of wasting my time updating the forum.

You don't understand. YOU're making me waste MY time reading your tantrums.

Stop the forum spam until you have things PLAYABLE.
Back to top Visit poster's website
Zacman_the_damned australia.png

UT Name: Zacman_The_Damned UT Since: 2006
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

Terra, you show us an update every day almost, you make nice maps, but nothing Revolutionary and never-before-seen, Even the massive projects like Residual Decay don't update as often as you do for a single map! Yes, it's nice to show off what you've done, but update less and make more, focus on the actual map rather than showing us all pictures of it. With all the updates you give, I can know the map without even playing it! For something like a MH map, all you really need is maybe a thread to say "I'm working on it" one post to say "Look at this uber awesome thing" and another post of "Here it's done." Your updates come more often than big 20 map long mappacks updates! You'll get comments once it's released and we've experienced it and actually have something tangible to comment on, What else can we say? "Nice Screenshot"? That's spam in itself.

Of course you won't get feedback during the mapping process of these things, People playing MH like GAMEPLAY, once you make a release, you will get feedback. Simple as that.
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 am

scratched old drama

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Visit poster's website Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
EA_Elemental england.png

UT Name: [SATA]Blood Asp UT Since: 1999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 pm
PostPost subject:No icon Re: Mapping plans for future

Mapping is a thing not to be rushed, but each one of your maps that have been created has been a rushmap, therefore usually either looking crappy, playing crappy, or ending up needing Version 6,293 because of rush-bugs... face it... you try to rush too much, you think mapping is just a game that is to be completed with the quickest time, it's not, it's art that needs careful preparation and precision, I too am guilty of rushing.. almost every mapper is, it is difficult to keep patience a key whilst making a map, look at MH-Azmodeus which was one of my first maps to be released, i made nice looking and moderately good gameplay for the start part, then suddenly it's just *gives up and rushes* thats when it begins to get crappy.

If you are gonna quit mapping then i'm not gonna stop you at all, your decision not mine. But i will say, try again, but make a map which isnt a complete rush thats finished in 3 days, look at the current MH-Godz project me and a friend are doing, this has taken almost 2 years to create the spawn and first area, *mainly because of us not having much time to do anything anyway but yehhh. lol* but just the creation work we have done on it when we were able to do those 2 area's the whole area took about 13 days to complete the spawn, and 2 days to do exactly what i wanted with the first section. Seems like i'm just a noob who is still trying to figure out exactly how to do stuff with the editor? ocationally maybe, but i want to take time making sure everything is matching, the textures are not conflictive with each other and the colour lights i decide to use. also make sure to use the right BSP for every little pop. all of this manufacts to Artwork... If you don't have the patience to draw a great portrait, then don't bother...

That's all i'm gonna say for now.. Call it spam, call it boredom.. whatever, but there are some good points in there, even if u don't want to, i suggest you at least read some of it.

Tnxkkbb

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Back to top MSN Messenger
Zacman_the_damned australia.png

UT Name: Zacman_The_Damned UT Since: 2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm

They like maps, but not your work. What is the point then opening a new topic about your new mapping project, when you know there will not be any replies.
Just open the topic when your map is complete? Nah... that is a reversed world.
[/color]

Not what I meant. I rather meant that, for a single-map project, you don't need as many posts as you do. One post for announcing "Oh hey I'm making this", maybe one update post to show it's still alive, then a release. And putting videos up before release for something that's only mapping... It kinda ruins the surprise for later. Videos and the like only really need to be put up for:
A) Post-release showing secrets
B) New things like scripting etc, stuff like if you're adding custom enemies (E.G. Residual Decay's Flamethrower Mercs or EXU's... anything...) or some other cool custom definately-nowhere-else-important-uber-look-at-this thing (E.G.  new weapons, things like that light time dynamic shadow concept map) You didn't show us anything mind-blowingly-never-seen-before, you did show some pretty cool stuff, but it's cool stuff that would have been nicer as a kickass surprise for the players to find when playing. If you want people to hang off your every update, go start a 20-map-plus project like RD or Firestorm, single release maps don't get that huge an ammount of attention unfortunately.

I do not fit here.  hiding in a paperbag
[/color]

don't say stupid things, of course you do! Just think first... Not every little thing you do needs an update.
Back to top MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm

scratched as well.

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
HellFire netherlands.png

UT Name: }ElitE{HellFire` UT Since: 1999 Gender: Gender:Male
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Nobody is saying your maps are shit or not appericiated.
The only thing which you can't seem to understand is that you post way to much about your maps and seems like you want everyone on the forum reply with ''Good job!''.
You can't expect everyone to say how awesome your map is, that does not mean if someone doesn't reply he doesn't like it.

About the posts, you could make a post when you started a new map/project and show screenshots when you're about half-way and on the end you post the download.
Instead making 5 posts with screenshots, 5 posts with update's and 5 posts with thank you's.

Do whatever you want, face the reality that you want everyone to say your map is awesome.
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:49 pm

scratched - old drama as well

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
rork netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: Rork UT Since: 2003

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Too bad you decidedish to quit while you were getting somewhere...

And with somewhere I didn't mean the mapping hall of fame. However over time your skills improved and I think the last room in CrystalMine2-2011 is  well done and Adventure Nights looks pretty good. Also there's a bit more story inthese maps, some sub-missions and buttons to look/press. Keep on doing that, keep improving your skills and try to find a style in architecture. Keep doing that and build something extraordinary and outstanding and you will get the respect you will deserve for it.

It is very unfortunate that hyping yourself only works with a 10 year olds audience. For others it takes a lot of effort to get to something that earns them respect. I do think it's good to ask for users for feedback but a map is it's makers creation, he does the main lay-out, architecture and game play. A teaser topic with basic story/lay-out, some update screenshots and a beta (or more if required) sounds very nice. However as said before the fun thing of a new map is playing it and finding its secrets. Too much updates/screenshots take away that fun and it looks too much like hyping yourself.

I don't think this community is very strange in a lack of comments. On most sites I visit only few take the effort to leave a comment on just a screenshot. If something awesome is published on Unreal SP it only receives a few praises, it doesn't fill the forum thread. Only a small part of a community is interested in this kind of stuff and even then it's easier to say what you don't like then to praise someone. Don't measure the success of your maps on the amount of comments here, instead measure it on how often your maps are played and voted on and the reactions ingame. That's a much more important indicator!
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BlackWolf germany.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BlackWolf UT Since: 1999
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:44 pm

@rork
For your second post this is very well said! I'm full Ack about your post.

Its not easy to build a activ comunity/server with a >10 years old game...

Wolfi
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

@ Rork and Blackwolf.
Well It is as I said in my previous post.

I will not quit mapping. But I will make maps when players want that.
So yes I can keep my dU mapper tag.

Requests I call it. Cool
Perhaps a special section is good idea: Map requests.
But I am glad that everyone unstands it, and did not take it too much the wrong way.
I was afraid that it would be a big shock for everyone.

The information that is given, I will use it. Thanks.

I keep on mapping.

Terra`
Sponsor
-BoB- uk.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: dU.BoB UT Since: 2005
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Finally back in the UK Very Happy1

I also agree with Rork's post.

I personally think your maps are quite reasonable terra, and are improving all the time. But...you do need to cut down the 'tell me that me and my maps are great' kind of posts. It will have the opposite effect of what you are looking for.

Just because people don't post with the enthusiasm and praise that you are looking for, doesn't mean that players don't like and appreciate your work.

I have the same situation with the coding. I sometimes get a 'bob thats a good update' post, but its not something that I get that often, or something that I demand from everyone. But even so, I still have the personal confidence to know that I am doing a good job, and will continue doing so regardless :)

If people are playing on the dU server, then there has to be a reason for this. And that reason is that its a combination of good maps, good mods, and good people, and this is something that we all contribute to. Seeing our server being the busiest MH server of them all is enough of an ego boost for me :)

Hopefully everyone can take a deep breath, put what's happened behind them, and try and leave this one in the past and move on with things. We are all here for the same reason, to have fun with our friends.

B Smile
Back to top Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
idefix netherlands.png

dU.Staff
dU.Staff

UT Name: iDeFiX UT Since: 1999

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:48 pm

rork wrote (View Post):
Too bad you decidedish to quit while you were getting somewhere...

And with somewhere I didn't mean the mapping hall of fame. However over time your skills improved and I think the last room in CrystalMine2-2011 is  well done and Adventure Nights looks pretty good. Also there's a bit more story inthese maps, some sub-missions and buttons to look/press. Keep on doing that, keep improving your skills and try to find a style in architecture. Keep doing that and build something extraordinary and outstanding and you will get the respect you will deserve for it.

It is very unfortunate that hyping yourself only works with a 10 year olds audience. For others it takes a lot of effort to get to something that earns them respect. I do think it's good to ask for users for feedback but a map is it's makers creation, he does the main lay-out, architecture and game play. A teaser topic with basic story/lay-out, some update screenshots and a beta (or more if required) sounds very nice. However as said before the fun thing of a new map is playing it and finding its secrets. Too much updates/screenshots take away that fun and it looks too much like hyping yourself.

I don't think this community is very strange in a lack of comments. On most sites I visit only few take the effort to leave a comment on just a screenshot. If something awesome is published on Unreal SP it only receives a few praises, it doesn't fill the forum thread. Only a small part of a community is interested in this kind of stuff and even then it's easier to say what you don't like then to praise someone. Don't measure the success of your maps on the amount of comments here, instead measure it on how often your maps are played and voted on and the reactions ingame. That's a much more important indicator!

+1
Back to top Visit member's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/destinationUnreal/68568886767

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:50 am

Very well then....
I will not update the topic CM3 that much anymore untill it is finished.

Back to the unreal editor.... Surprised
CrystalMine3 is back on the road.

And even though this is game forum, some users here can be real good teachers. Confused

Thanks for that. Idea
I have seen the light now.

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

Lock topic now if you please.

Last edited by Terraniux on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cyberia-Mix france.png

dU.Mapper
dU.Mapper

UT Name: Demona UT Since: 2000
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 am

-BoB- wrote (View Post):
I have the same situation with the coding. I sometimes get a 'bob thats a good update' post, but its not something that I get that often, or something that I demand from everyone. But even so, I still have the personal confidence to know that I am doing a good job, and will continue doing so regardless Smile

You keep this in mind Terra.
BW doesn't get a lot of support for the time he spends improving the site, same with BoB for the mutator, and same with mappers from all communities.

You make it sound like you're different from them by the amount of efforts you put into your works, and want to make that known around you because you think it's fair game.
You are unaware that the other workers around you are actually precisely going through the same thing.

You have no clue how much time I spent in my maps, fixing the broken BSP in MH-Terraniux by modifying half of the level brush by brush, rebuilding testing fixing rebuilding testing fixing rebuilding testing... screwing things up and restarting all over from a previous version, how much time I spent dissecting tons of game scripts, searching and reading wikis to learn how to make mercenaries able to fire shock beams and in the correct direction, fixing the invulnerability bug on shields, making them invisible, making the boss' health able to change with to the number of players, making the invulnerability pickups, or how many times I grabbed my calculator and played with monsters draw scale to give every mercenary of the level a unique health value ending with a 0, making them change positions every time you replay the level, or making them defend or patrol. And the same goes with MH-Retarded. Custom weapon, custom monster behaviour, custom music management, various tricks to force or prevent players from doing this and that. You'd be surprised at how much things have been carefully considered in every single room there.

Then forum users read your threads without replying. Players casually drop by in your maps, calling shit or awesome the exact same things.
You see anyone whining about that?
What's important is how much confidence you have in your own work, and whose opinions are valuable. That's enough to know whether you should feel satisfied and made a good use of your time.

Praise is a nice plus when it comes from the right people but it's in no way a requirement. In my case at least, knowing that my work is how I wanted it to be is what I'm looking after, which I can do alone for the most part, with the late help of some testers.
Most players won't ever notice that the monsters move around the map and have realistic HP, I knew this before I started, yet I still went for it, because that's something I personally wished for.
Similarly, you should know before you start working that you'll never reap as much praise from your work as you'd like to, because you're making something that matches your tastes, which naturally puts you at the top of the users able to enjoy the end work, and therefore no one is better suited to say "I love this" than yourself.
If you feel like you can't give up on praise, then give up on the activity itself and find a more satisfying one to invest your time in.

You're the only one among us to complain because you haven't acknowledged this situation yet. I've seen a lot of younger makers doing that.
I also suspect you seek attention because you lack the ability to gauge your work yourself.
Things will get better when you stop being self-centered and start looking around you.

EDIT: if I were to be wrong about this, that you actually have very little interest in your own considerations and only look to define the value of your works by foreign opinions, making maps that are widely popular among dU players is no hard thing and you shall find quite a convenient way of doing so with MH-ABC: Assault the Boom boom Crystals. Idea
Back to top Visit poster's website
EA_Elemental england.png

UT Name: [SATA]Blood Asp UT Since: 1999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

I'll have to get one of my old friends in here, he will slaughter you with problems he can find in maps  Idea  And he doesn't hold back his criticism's either  Laughing

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Back to top MSN Messenger
Sponsor

destination Unreal Forum Index   New Mapping Projects
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: